New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - How much to pay?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

SlickShoes

SlickShoes is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 13.3"

Hi,

Im in the UK and im looking to get a laptop to use around the house and sometimes take to work so i want something small, i have thought about a macbook but its alot of money so i have thought about getting a second hand ibook, is it worth it?

im only really looking for something to do basic tasks on and browse the web so how much should i be looking to pay for one of these? I see some people selling the more recent iBooks for around 500 which to me doesnt seem worth it when i can get the top of the range macbook for 350 more through my work, shoudl i be able to get them cheaper than 500?

Thanks for any advice!
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
Hi,

Im in the UK and im looking to get a laptop to use around the house and sometimes take to work so i want something small, i have thought about a macbook but its alot of money so i have thought about getting a second hand ibook, is it worth it?

im only really looking for something to do basic tasks on and browse the web so how much should i be looking to pay for one of these? I see some people selling the more recent iBooks for around 500 which to me doesnt seem worth it when i can get the top of the range macbook for 350 more through my work, shoudl i be able to get them cheaper than 500?

Thanks for any advice!
Macs of all flavours keep their second hand price very well, if you do see one that seems a good deal it is probably not in tip top condition.

I'm still using a 5 year old iMac on a daily basis so Macs have a long useful life.

Maybe you should see if a refurbished Mac would be more suitable.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShoes View Post
I see some people selling the more recent iBooks for around 500 which to me doesnt seem worth it when i can get the top of the range macbook for 350 more through my work, shoudl i be able to get them cheaper than 500?

Thanks for any advice!
You definitely should be able to find an iBook for less. That is outrageous. Yes, Macs tend to hold a little more value than your standard Windows machine, but not by that much.
I have seen plenty of G4 iBooks sell for $300-$400 US.(150-250).

Keep your eyes open and you should be able to find one in that range. I wouldn't pay anymore than $500 US for an iBook these days.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
pod

pod will become famous soon enough

I'm in the UK... bought a 12 inch 'mid 2005' G4 model (the last incarnation of the iBook) with a 1.33mhz processor, 60GB HD, 1GB Ram, wireless/bluetooth ready in mint condition with all original accessories off ebay for 400... earlier G4 and G3 iBooks are going for quite a bit less...

though you won't find one in any kind of decent order here in the UK for the prices D3v1L80Y is quoting...
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pod View Post
though you won't find one in any kind of decent order here in the UK for the prices D3v1L80Y is quoting...
Maybe it is more than just simple conversion rates, I don't know. The price the OP quoted equates to about $985 US. That is almost the exact same price that they sold for new here in the US ($999)... a year ago... and for a brand-new, never before opened machine.
I would never pay anything that close to the original cost for a used or discontinued item.
They are selling for much less nowadays, especially since the Intel machines have been released. Almost no PPC Mac is worth that much anymore, especially an iBook.
Even at $700-$800 US it is still too much to pay for an iBook.

Anywho.. the point is that they should sell for much less than 400-500 in my opinion. Paying that much is borderline highway robbery.
:black:

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

Basic Macbook from US store: $1,099.00 USD = £564.091 GBP
Basic Macbook from UK store: $1,459.09 USD = £749.00 GBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y
...borderline highway robbery.
That's one way to describe it...
QUOTE Thanks
SlickShoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss918 View Post
Basic Macbook from US store: $1,099.00 USD = 564.091 GBP
Basic Macbook from UK store: $1,459.09 USD = 749.00 GBP

Whats with the price difference between USA and UK then? Looking at that id be cheaper buying a macbook from the USA paying for shipping and paying tax when imported and itll still be cheaper than getting it in the UK? Im sure i dont make any more money that my american cousins!
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice

I think it's just the usual way we get ripped off in this country, think house/car prices here compared to elsewhere. I don't think you could get it shipped from the US without having taxes added on entry to the UK (As far as I know...) Your only choice would be to pick one up while on holiday.
QUOTE Thanks
SlickShoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss918 View Post
Basic Macbook from US store: $1,099.00 USD = 564.091 GBP
Basic Macbook from UK store: $1,459.09 USD = 749.00 GBP

When i bought my mac mini i got it from the USA, it cost me 400 last august and that was including getting a 50 tax ccharge when it came into the country so it still worked out alot cheaper than getting it here. Its mad and it does annoy me how our prices are so inflated!
QUOTE Thanks
pod

pod will become famous soon enough

Yeah... The Uk is sh!te for expensive bits of kit!
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

its obviously up to you but the best thing to do try out the macbook and an ibook and see which you prefer.

kl comparison by SlickShoes.
QUOTE Thanks
SlickShoes

Ive been looking at the macbook pro and macbook refurb prices and they seem pretty decent, i also was looking on ebay at ibooks and for the latest model people still seem to want 500 so id rather pay maybe 100-200 extra and get a macbook or macbook pro from the refurb site, or if i find i can splash out i might just got for a brand new macbook black mmmm
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

I'd definitely recommend going for the Macbook if you have the cash. There are some good reasons stated here (Click!) for going with a newer MB/MBP over the older Powerbook/ibook.
QUOTE Thanks
SlickShoes

im drawn towards the black one, its payday next wednesday so lets hope i get a nice wage so i can blow it all at once!
QUOTE Thanks
SlickShoes

Since im here, i sometimes like to make music on my current PC if i was to go all out and get the top spec macbook do you think itd be able to handle using music creation programs such as Reason or Logic? I wouldnt mind trying out garageband aswell
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Shell... | Why!!!!! »