Specs:
    PB G4 17" 1.33GH OS X
    DVD-R and Superdrive
    A quick one:

Are all comersial dvd-r disks compatible with macs (powerbook G4 superdrive) and if not where do i get some (not the apple store, yes they will work but not good value for money)?

And a stupid one:

why does my PB not read dvd+r disks and just spits them out? What is the difference between them and dvd-r?

Thanx in advance!!

Mark

msSwitch
    I don't know about your first question, but I can address your "stupid" question The latest Panther 10.3.3 upgrade enables the Superdrive to read DVD+R discs.

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    http://meritline.com/meritline-4x-dv...-dvd-case.html

thats the media I use on my familys superdrive

DVD-R and DVD-RW
    DVD-R/W was the first DVD recording format released that was compatible with standalone DVD Players.
    DVD-R is a non-rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 93% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD-RW is a rewriteable format and it is compatible with about 77% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD-R/W supports single side 4.7 GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 9.4 GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
    These formats are supported by DVDForum.

DVD+R and DVD+RW
    DVD+R/W has some "better" features than DVD-R/W such as lossless linking and both CAV and CLV writing.
    DVD+R is a non-rewritable format and it is compatible with about 87% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD+RW is a rewritable format and is compatible with about 77% of all DVD Players and most DVD-ROMs.
    DVD+R/W supports single side 4.7 GB* DVDs(called DVD-5) and double side 9.4 GB* DVDs(called DVD-10).
    These formats are supported by the DVD+RW Alliance.

its just the way the recording strips are different that cause your PB to spit them out....they are not readable with apples drives
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

Specs:
    PB G4 17" 1.33GH OS X
    thanx again monkey!!

The thing is that I'm in the UK and I can get the ritek G04 DVD-r s here. From your site it seems that only the G03 are compatible (x2 speed). If I get the G04 (x4 speed) will it work and if yes, I presume that it will be at x2 speed!!

adam80
    Meritline discs are too expensive, goto ebay and buy some Ritek unbranded discs you can get 100 discs for about $75 or so, have the price of those Meritline.

lugee
    marksolomos wrote...

>>thanx again monkey!!

>>The thing is that I'm in the UK and I can get the ritek G04 DVD-r s here. From >>your site it seems that only the G03 are compatible (x2 speed). If I get the G04 >>(x4 speed) will it work and if yes, I presume that it will be at x2 speed!!

I've used ritek g04 die on the PB superdrive and they work well. The superdrive won't write faster then 2x as that is its top write speed.

Try here for cheap dvd's www.blankdiscshop.co.uk its cheapest place i know for dvds.

Thread Information