New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - battery

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jamesx

how long is the battery supposed to last. this macbook is only a month old and wen it is fully charged it says it has 2:35 remaining... is this normal?
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

what are the specs on your macbook?

Tips for maximizing your Notebook battery charge

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=50666

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
jamesx

macbook c2d 2.0 GHz, 1 gb ram, 80gb hard drive...
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future

here are the specs on your machine..

http://support.apple.com/specs/macbo...late_2006.html

in there it states you should get 6 hours.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesx View Post
macbook c2d 2.0 GHz, 1 gb ram, 80gb hard drive...
It's useful life will degrade over time and more rapidly depending the conditions in which you keep it. It also doesn't hurt to calibrate it now and then. CoconutBattery is a handy little app to compare the potential of your battery to how you might expect a new one to perform. And of course the length of charge will vary widely depending on what you have turned on (Bluetooth, Airport, brightness of the screen, performance level, etc...).
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

one thing I can tell you. my PB says it should hold a charge for 5.5 hours.. I have NEVER gotten that much out of one charge. Even with the screen set of really low brightness.. I am lucky to get 2.5hrs on a full charge with the screen brightness turned down to half or less.

QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

walmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.

James,

You ought to check on your battery's capacity using Coconut Battery. When your battery information says 2:35 remaining, does it really turn out to be 2:35? If not, you should also try calibrating your battery.

About the six hours of battery life... I don't know if that is really realistic. With bluetooth turned off and wifi turned off as well I still only get about five hours of life maximum. It all depends on your usage. Something that is graphic or cpu intensive will obviously draw more power (games, dvds, heavy computing, ect.)

After 106 Loadcycles and 7 months of life for my Macbook I am at 95% of my original battery capacity.

EDIT: I bring my macbook to class every day and get about 4.5 hours out of one charge with wireless on and brightness turned down to about 1/3, so it's not like it's bad or anything. I am generally very pleased with the battery life of my lappy :bone:
QUOTE Thanks
For Sure

For Sure is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmartconnect View Post
James,

You ought to check on your battery's capacity using Coconut Battery. When your battery information says 2:35 remaining, does it really turn out to be 2:35? If not, you should also try calibrating your battery.

About the six hours of battery life... I don't know if that is really realistic. With bluetooth turned off and wifi turned off as well I still only get about five hours of life maximum. It all depends on your usage. Something that is graphic or cpu intensive will obviously draw more power (games, dvds, heavy computing, ect.)

After 106 Loadcycles and 7 months of life for my Macbook I am at 95% of my original battery capacity.
That's weird, I got my MacBook just 3 days ago and I'm at 95% too.
QUOTE Thanks
jamesx

i drained my battery completely last night and charged all night. according to coconut, my battery is at 94% of it s original capacity (4904 0f 5200). it is 7 weeks old and has 16 load cycles...

does apple offer a better battery? or is this the only option?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesx View Post
i drained my battery completely last night and charged all night. according to coconut, my battery is at 94% of it s original capacity (4904 0f 5200). it is 7 weeks old and has 16 load cycles...

does apple offer a better battery? or is this the only option?
That's it from Apple. I'm not sure about 3rd party. But keep in mind that your runtime will vary widely based on your settings. Turn your display brightness down, turn off Bluetooth (if you're not using it) and make sure Energy Saver is set to "Better Energy Savings" and you should be able to get 4 hours+, even with the slightly diminished capacity.
QUOTE Thanks
jamesx

alright, thanks for your reply. yesterday on a full charge it showed 2:30 remaining. after draining my battery completely, and charging all night, it now shows 4:35 remaining with the screen brightness low and it set on "better battery life". looks like its good to go. maybe good idea to drain the battery once a week or so...

how long do batteries usually last before needing to be replaced with a new one. i use it on batteries probably 5 or 6 hours a week... thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

It varies, but as a general rule, they're usually good for a year (sometimes more) if you use them quite frequently.
QUOTE Thanks
jamesx

alright thanks a lot for all your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Mactime

Mactime is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo

how do you know how many load cycles has your battery gone through................is there a place that gives you the number or do you just remember how many times it nearly drained and u recharged it?

thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mactime View Post
how do you know how many load cycles has your battery gone through................is there a place that gives you the number or do you just remember how many times it nearly drained and u recharged it?

thanks
CoconutBattery (referenced above with download link) will tell you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intel GMA 950 Video Card Question | Airport Freaking Out HELP!!! »