Keep macbook and upgrade hardware or sell and buy new?
    I have just come across a macbook
    * 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 512MB memory
    * 60GB hard drive1
    * Combo drive

I was wondering if I should upgrade the RAM and hard drive or sell it and come up with more money to buy:

* 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 1GB memory
    * 120GB hard drive1
    * Double-layer SuperDrive

What should I do? The macbook is brand new and never been open, it is a gift.

todd51
    What are your plans for the Macbook, as in, what are you wanting to do with it? Are you going to use Photoshop, Garageband, any sort of video editing? Or, are you just IM, Mail, and web-browsing?

It all depends on what your plans are for using it.

IM, Mail, and web-browsing. I also have many videos and music that I play.

todd51
    Hmm, I don't think you really need any more processing power, my recommendations would just to upgrade the ram and maybe some more HD space since you watch a lot of videos. If you absolutely think you need the dual-layer burner then go for it I guess.

If you have enough money to do it, most of the time I would say just "go all out" and get a complete upgrade. If you don't have the money and it's an issue of saving, I would just upgrade the ram and get an external hard drive.

It might seem harsh to the person that gave you the MacBook as a gift, but could you not ask them for the receipt, return it and put the extra money towards the spec you want/require?

Quote Originally Posted by todd51 View Post
    Hmm, I don't think you really need any more processing power, my recommendations would just to upgrade the ram and maybe some more HD space since you watch a lot of videos. If you absolutely think you need the dual-layer burner then go for it I guess.

If you have enough money to do it, most of the time I would say just "go all out" and get a complete upgrade. If you don't have the money and it's an issue of saving, I would just upgrade the ram and get an external hard drive.
    The one I have already burns CD's correct?

It was given as a gift from my grandparents in a different state. They probably purchased it with their credit card. They know nothing about computers. I appreciate the gift but I wanted the second one. What should I do?

Well, even if you were to sell the one you currently have, I doubt you'd get the current value that's displayed on the Apple store.

In my opinion, the best bet would be to try and obtain the receipt, and ask Apple to exchange it.

EDIT: I'm new with macs, don't even own one yet in fact... but I don't think you can change the processor. Anybody can feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    Mod's note: Threads merged.

wont happen again I just wasn't sure where to post.

Specs:
    2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
    This is just my opinion.. I see no reason for you to upgrade to a new computer.. you use your computer for IM/Mail/WWW/Music/Videos. I would keep what you have toss another GB of ram in it and you will be set. If you run out of HDD space go out and buy yourself an external.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007

Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I am going to just upgrade the RAM and HD.

Thread Information