Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Apple Notebooks (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/)
-   -   Battery Power (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/542-battery-power.html)

Ashcrow 04-27-2003 12:02 AM

How long does your Powerbook battery last? How long is it supose to?

Graphite 05-05-2003 01:18 PM

5-6 hours?

muso 05-05-2003 07:48 PM

I'm curious too. Anybody know?

Graphite 05-05-2003 09:15 PM

I would guess around the amount of a iBook.. but depending on usage it would be higher or lower.. couldnt be crappy or people would complain.

hokiethang 05-05-2003 09:55 PM

i have a 1ghz ti-book and i get about 4:30 - 5:30 hours depending on the brightness of the screen and whether im using the airport card and / or superdrive at the same time. I bought an extra battery when i bought my laptop, and i have yet to need it. The battery life is amazing compared to my sony laptop which i used to use which got at tops 2:30 with 2 batteries.

elvis2000 08-30-2003 12:15 AM

I'm getting nothing like those sort of time on my superdrive 15" PB, I'm lucky if i get over 2.5 hours
Usually have the Airportcard running, but that about it...maybe itunes.

Murlyn 08-31-2003 03:55 PM

I agree.. w/ my PB I get only around 2-2.5 or so, but I have apache running in the background.. which really shouldnt do much.. I have cron, which again shouldnt do much.. When I run off of battery I close any programs that I am not using and dim the screen.. it would absolutely be awesome to get 5-6 hours of battery life.. please tell me how!

hokiethang 08-31-2003 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murlyn
I agree.. w/ my PB I get only around 2-2.5 or so, but I have apache running in the background.. which really shouldnt do much.. I have cron, which again shouldnt do much.. When I run off of battery I close any programs that I am not using and dim the screen.. it would absolutely be awesome to get 5-6 hours of battery life.. please tell me how!

I usually get 4:30 - 5 hours, its not too hard actually, I guess i got good batteries or something, but i only run the airport card when needed, keep the speakers off, kill off everything i dont use, and most importantly, dim the screen to about 3 bars. It works great for privacy as well as keeping battery usage down.

elvis2000 08-31-2003 09:01 PM

Just been playing around, with energy saver options.
If you set the Processor Performace to "Reduced", and set the sleep options to kick in early that will give you an extra 1-1.5 hours.
With these options I can get around 4 hours.

Murlyn 09-01-2003 11:39 AM

I have it set with all those performance tweaks, yet I still can only get the amount I said. But then again I am talking about continuous use.. which the Processor Performance set to "Reduced" should not matter, since it never gets to that point. I still have it set that way when I am running off of battery though just incase it's not continuous use.

trpnmonkey41 09-01-2003 08:11 PM

i average 3 - 3.5 hours on mine. the biggest 2 things too get the longest battery life is turning off airport and lowering the dimness on your screen

greylnx 09-01-2003 08:38 PM

I usually pull ~3.5-4 hours on mine. But, I'm usually not doing much more than AIM conversations and browsing webpages when I'm on battery power. I don't use airport/bluetooth, I keep the screen quite dim, and I turn off the speakers unless I happen to be listening to music or doing anything else that requires sound.