New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Crucial Memory

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

I bought a stick of 1gb crucial memory for my MBP about 8 months ago. last week I started having kernal panics and random restarts, and traced the problem to the memory....i wanted to take the time to tell all of you that I am extremely impressed with Crucial customer service. I was on the phone for all of 5 minutes, and they are express shipping a new module today, free of charge. They cost a little more than some of the cheaper stuff....but they have some of the best RAM, and if anything goes wrong, its good to know you wont get screwed.
QUOTE Thanks
Rizzo

Rizzo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro 2.0GHz, 8GB iPhone

Man that's good to hear. I installed 2 gigs of Crucial ram a couple months ago. So far it's working great.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

I also installed 2 X 1Gb RAM that I purchased from Crucial so that story is music to my ears, sixslinger!

Thanks for passing your experience on to us here!
QUOTE Thanks
Dillinger-63

Dillinger-63 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.

That's great to hear as I just installed a 1 gig stick of Crucial memory in my MBP.

My Avatar is in memory of my beloved K-9,
Dillinger who was killed in the line of duty.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

You are not alone in your experience. I swear by Crucial and haven't purchased memory from any other source since Micron first started their retail arm.

I once purchased a 512MB module for my desktop, then several months later, purchased a second 512MB module. I noticed that my motherboard didn't detect the configuration as dual-channel capable, and emailed Crucial support. Within minutes, Crucial replied back saying that the modules weren't identical, so they would be sending me out a new one (free of charge) and with a mailer so that I could send back one of the two modules free of charge as well.

My problem was resolved within 2 business days - can't beat that for turnaround.
QUOTE Thanks
sirwin113

sirwin113 is on a distinguished road

as soon as i get my mbp I'll be adding another 1g of memory to it... now i know who to go with! thanks
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

I ordered a matched pair of 1GB modules from Crucial today, which means that I'll be putting up my Apple OEM (Nanya brand) 1GB module for sale on eBay - PM me if anyone is interested. The new stuff should be here on Friday, the 23rd.
QUOTE Thanks
whyzdom

whyzdom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.33 2Gig

I am sure this question has been asked, I remember reading something about it. If I wanted to upgrade (not likely at this point) my ram from 2g to 3g, would I have to add 2 2gig modules making it 4g, but only having the ability to use 3g of it?

If so, would this damage/hurt the MBP at all? I could have sworn I already read this somewhere, but wanted to reconfirm. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

do you have a core duo or core 2 duo?
QUOTE Thanks
whyzdom

whyzdom is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15" 2.33 2Gig

Core 2 duo... well.. officially I should receive it tomorrow! I am kinda nervous.. what if it doesn't like me? what happens if it see's my PC desktop? Will it be jealous?

But ya, its a MBP Core 2 Duo and as you can tell I am a happy.
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

congrats.....your gonna love it. Your best bet on the RAM upgrade is to get a 1gb stick and a 2gb stick.....matching RAM doesnt really matter in the MBP, since it has separate video RAM. Not sure what would happen if you stuck 4gb in there......
QUOTE Thanks
Blown284

Blown284 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini & MB Pro

Anyone know where I can get the Crucial memory for a decent price? I'm looking for 1gb X 2 for my macbook pro.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown284 View Post
Anyone know where I can get the Crucial memory for a decent price? I'm looking for 1gb X 2 for my macbook pro.
You'd want to buy it directly from Crucial.com, other vendors carry it, but in my experience they usually come out about even with shipping.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

2GB matched pairs showed up today, everything works great. I'm now able to allocate my Ubuntu and Windows virtual machines a full 1GB at a time with no slowdown on the host desktop, it's awesome and highly recommended.

I can't say that I notice any difference in performance given the dual-channel configuration, however....
QUOTE Thanks
Supercooled

Supercooled is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I ordered a matched pair of 1GB modules from Crucial today, which means that I'll be putting up my Apple OEM (Nanya brand) 1GB module for sale on eBay - PM me if anyone is interested. The new stuff should be here on Friday, the 23rd.
What's the difference? I have my OEM memory with Kingston and everything seems kosher. What benefits would you gain from a matched pair? I don't see it necessary unless you plan on overclocking.

Speaking of memory, I checked out Kingston.com and was flabbergasted to learn for a 2GB module, it costs almost $900. Is that the norm? I'd love to bump it to 3GB but not at those prices.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Quesiton about pwrbook ram | Upgrading HD »