New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

WTF just happened?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

StarManta

I was ripping one of my friend's CDs, and all of a sudden my PB's screen dimmed, and it told me in 4 languages that I needed to restart, and told me to hold the power button for several seconds.

WTF? Is this some kind of new kernel panic or what? (I'm running Panther)
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

Yeah, that's a kernel panic.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
adam80

Congrats on your first kernal panic! just kd yeah that really sucks when that happens, as far as I know the kernal panics have always showed up like that, I could be wrong though.
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

Is there usually a pattern to kernel panics? for example, I was trying to rip a CD (somewhat scratched) when it happened - if I tried to rip the same CD is it likely to panic again?
QUOTE Thanks
adam80

Their usually is a pattern, when ever I got a kernal panic and I tried to do whatever caused the kernal panic the first time, it would cause another panic.
QUOTE Thanks
marksolomos

marksolomos is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: PB G4 17" 1.33GH OS X

What Is A Kernal Panic????
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Yeah I have owned my computer for about 2.5 years now.. I have never seen a kernel panic
QUOTE Thanks
adam80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murlyn
Yeah I have owned my computer for about 2.5 years now.. I have never seen a kernel panic
you will, its only a matter of time.
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

marksolomos: Something goes seriously haywire way down in the guts of the OS, and it's all like "Crap, what's going on?" and the processor is like "AUGHHH!" and Darwin's like "AAUUGHH!" and it tells the screen to tell the user to reboot and the user's like "AUUGH!".... or something to that effect.
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

*rofl* well I hope that I never see one.. and if I havent seen one in 2.5 years, my guess is that it's probably pretty likely I will not see one any time soon.. then again.. Im thinking of upgrading to Panther and maybe then I will actually see one.. maybe I won't upgrade.. ugh! decisions decisions *grin*
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

I've had two, but apparently they were freak occurances since they happened months ago.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

I've yet to see one. Murlyn, you must switch to panther...it's so wonderful.
QUOTE Thanks
StarManta

No, I was on Panther when it panicked.

I think Panther has a different panic than the old versions; I saw a picture of one a little while ago with a normal screen but Terminal-like text over top of it, whereas this one was nice and pretty. (Heh, OSX even dies pretty now...)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBook Freaking Out! | Powerbook Sleep Issue »