New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Installed new RAM...now what?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sunshine1686

sunshine1686 is on a distinguished road

I just installed 2GB of RAM. When I turned on my Macbook there was no message saying that there was new RAM installed. When I go to "About this MAC" it says that there is 2GB of RAM. Since it says that I assume I did it correctly? Is that all I have to do...?

I haven't noticed any difference in the way it operates...

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

yep, enjoy!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
rift0065

rift0065 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM

You will notice the difference with a lot of different programs open, or while doing anything memory intensive, like video or photo editing, etc.. For me when I upgraded to 2 Gb from 1, I noticed just about everything ran a bit faster.
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

Yeah, that's it. Did you expect an Installation Wizard guiding you through the setup process, showing you ugly GIFs of some weird-looking hardware card, yellow exclamation marks and "Finish" buttons :-).

OS X can't "know" that you've installed new RAM, because it runs on it. Simlarly, OS X isn't going to congratulate you for exchanging the processor. It's like you knowing about God, who just got upgraded. Sorry for the blasphemous analogy.

BTW, enjoy 2GB. Roxx.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Here, do this:

Put the original RAM back into the Macbook, boot it up. Now launch fifty Safari windows with five tabs in each. Point 'em at all different sites (CNN, here, Fark.com, slashdot, etc.) Then launch iTunes. Play a song.

Now shut down (if you can) and re-install the 2GB RAM. Do the same thing.

You'll probably see a difference.

:headphone
QUOTE Thanks
jamesx

where did you get the Ram? does more expensive Ram work better?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesx View Post
does more expensive Ram work better?
Of course it does. Everything that costs more is better. :black:

Seriously, it makes no difference. So long as the RAM meets the requirements, it will work fine, no matter what it costs.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Take my Canon Digital camera for instance ... I was in the market for my mode when it was seling for $500AUS [not original price]. No doubt it was originally more expensive when it first came out ... I picked it up for $399AUS ... then a couple of months later it was selling for $299AUS. All this in the space of 6mths too! You get what you pay for is starting to sound hollow ....
QUOTE Thanks
jamesx

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Of course it does. Everything that costs more is better. :black:

Seriously, it makes no difference. So long as the RAM meets the requirements, it will work fine, no matter what it costs.
sorry for hijacking this thread...but i figured we were kind of on the same page.

lol, ok. i didn't really know. i have seen a few different places that sell it and some have a price variance of $150. where is a good place online that sells good hardware for a mac...(c2d macbook).
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Always buy RAM that has a lifetime warranty: if it dies suddenly you will get a free replacement.

I like Other World Computing. I bought RAM from theme a few years back and they are very nice, efficient and service is fast.

Others might recommend Crucial. You see RAMJET advertised a lot but I personally never bought from them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« From 5200 mAh to 1579 mAh in less than a month? | Start up promblems for father-in-law »