New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Optical drive issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Follow

Follow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16 GHz

Hello everyone.
I figured I would introduce myself first since this is my first post. My name is Steve and I just got my 15 mpb in December and I love it! I used to have a powerbook g4, which was my first mac, but I had to give it up because it belonged to my school, but Ive been hooked on macs ever since. I primarily use my mac for graphic design.

Ok, so now Ill get to the point.
When I shut the lid of my mbp every few minutes the optical drive makes a sound like its trying to eject a disc, but there is no disk in there. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? It is driving me crazy, so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Follow View Post
Hello everyone.
I figured I would introduce myself first since this is my first post. My name is Steve and I just got my 15 mpb in December and I love it! I used to have a powerbook g4, which was my first mac, but I had to give it up because it belonged to my school, but Ive been hooked on macs ever since. I primarily use my mac for graphic design.

Ok, so now Ill get to the point.
When I shut the lid of my mbp every few minutes the optical drive makes a sound like its trying to eject a disc, but there is no disk in there. Has anyone had anything similar happen to them? It is driving me crazy, so if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have an external mouse hooked up?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Does this noise persist and happen continually?
It is normal for the optical drive to make a "spinning down" type noise when the computer is shut down or put to sleep, but it should only happen once.
If it is happening over and over, then it could be a fan that is making the noise (if you simply put it to sleep).
Try running a Hardware Test to see if anything shows up.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
Do you have an external mouse hooked up?
I have a bluetooth mouse hooked up, but it does it when the mouse is shut off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Does this noise persist and happen continually?
It is normal for the optical drive to make a "spinning down" type noise when the computer is shut down or put to sleep, but it should only happen once.
If it is happening over and over, then it could be a fan that is making the noise (if you simply put it to sleep).
Try running a Hardware Test to see if anything shows up.
If you push the eject button when there us no disk in, that is the sound it makes. It does it repeatedly every few minutes. Otherwise the drive is functioning like normal.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Follow. As DB suggested run the Hardware Test on your MBP. It should be on DVD install disks that came with your Mac. Insert the disk and restart, holding down the D key. When prompted, ask for the test to be run in Extended mode.

Report back with the results and we'll see what has to be done next.
QUOTE Thanks
Follow

I ran the hardware test and no problems were found. It seems like it could just be nothing, but it is just bugging the **** out of me.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I ran the hardware test and no problems were found. It seems like it could just be nothing, but it is just bugging the **** out of me.
The reason I asked about the mouse is that I keep my MBP on my desk at work. Much of the time, the lid is closed and should be sleeping. But what I found was that the vibrations on my desk were enough to jar my Logitech V270 BT mouse which would make the MBP wake up for a second and in turn, make the drive make the noise you describe.

I would try disabling Bluetooth and the AirPort and see if it still does it. Just a guess.
QUOTE Thanks
Follow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
The reason I asked about the mouse is that I keep my MBP on my desk at work. Much of the time, the lid is closed and should be sleeping. But what I found was that the vibrations on my desk were enough to jar my Logitech V270 BT mouse which would make the MBP wake up for a second and in turn, make the drive make the noise you describe.

I would try disabling Bluetooth and the AirPort and see if it still does it. Just a guess.
That actuall seems to have taken care of the problem. I feel kinda stupid because it was so simple to fix. lol.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Glad that problem has been sorted out for you. :girl:
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

Quote:
That actuall seems to have taken care of the problem. I feel kinda stupid because it was so simple to fix. lol.

Thanks a lot for the help everyone.
Glad to hear it. If you go into Bluetooth Preferences, you can set it to not allow BT devices to wake the computer. In my mind, this is not a big deal because you can always just hit the space bar or the trackpad button.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 1 x 1 Gig or 2 x 512 MB RAM? | PB G4 - are there battery prob for these? »