New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - I-klear screen polish destroyed my screen!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacNewbie

MacNewbie is an unknown at this point

I bought the I-Klear screen polish from the apple store the other day and i tried it out this morning..it seemd ok at the time...

however just an hour ago i dimmed the screen setting to the lowest point, so that basically the entire screen was black and under this setting to my horror i see that the entire screen is covered in smudges and streak marks

now its like they wont come off no matter how much i try polishing it off and its left a bunch of smear/smudges on my screen its almost like the iklear made some kind of greasy film on my screen...

wtf?!

i specifically asked the sales rep about if it was safe for glossy screens and he said it was...it also says on the case that it was as well.

wtf!!!!!

anyone else had the same experience??
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

i have iklear on my screen and it worked fine, i have a matte screen but I dont see why a glossy would make any difference. I would use the microfiber cloth again and try to put more of the spray on the screen and see if that takes care of it.
QUOTE Thanks
ambivalent

ambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - iPhone

did you let your computer get completely cold? it behaves much different if it is hot/been on for a while

She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
and long ago converted most of her flesh into liquid.
Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

i stay awy from any type of chemical on these screens. a little warm water, a soft cloth, and a microfiber glasses cloth to finish it off is all i need.

then again, ive had my mbp for 2 months now, and cleaned it, ONCE.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

If your screen was very warm, pretty much all screen and glass cleaners do that at high tempatures.
QUOTE Thanks
choi0706

choi0706 is on a distinguished road

do you have a picture?
QUOTE Thanks
Four Two 0

Four Two 0 is on a distinguished road

did you spray it directly on your screen? if so thats a no no
QUOTE Thanks
ambivalent

ambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really niceambivalent is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - iPhone

it is also a 'polish' you need to polish out every drop with a microfibre cloth.

She figured out that the only way to keep from being frozen was to stay in motion,
and long ago converted most of her flesh into liquid.
Now when she smells danger, she spills herself all over, like gasoline, and lights it.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

i dont trust that kinda stuff on my screens.

nothing ever on my screen that a little warm water and a soft towel doesnt fix.

what do people get on their screens to need windex type stuff is beyond me

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
verminofmsu

verminofmsu is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15inch Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Intel DC 2Gb Ram 100Gb +750Gb WD ext *Glossy Screen* ;-)

Well to answer your question of whats gets on a screen that one might use a cleaner to remove, I'll give you a few examples. Morons who point things out on the screen and manage to touch their fat dirty fingers to it. Children who know no better, and women, mothers and lady friends who might not be aware of one's obsessive clean screen tendencies. Here's a tip, I bought a "Monster" screen cleaning kit when I bought my Pioneer Plasma, I use the microfiber and cleaning solution on my screen. Just last night I about had an seizure when I cleaned my Macbook Pro screen for the first time. There were lines and smudges everywhere, but alas as the ambivalent one stated, I kept polishing and wiping with dry parts in an effort to buff it out. 40 seconds later I was finished! You could pick your teeth and comb your hair in my screen when it's off, just the way I like it!
QUOTE Thanks
kfordham281

kfordham281 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacNewbie View Post
I bought the I-Klear screen polish from the apple store the other day and i tried it out this morning..it seemd ok at the time...

however just an hour ago i dimmed the screen setting to the lowest point, so that basically the entire screen was black and under this setting to my horror i see that the entire screen is covered in smudges and streak marks

now its like they wont come off no matter how much i try polishing it off and its left a bunch of smear/smudges on my screen its almost like the iklear made some kind of greasy film on my screen...

wtf?!

i specifically asked the sales rep about if it was safe for glossy screens and he said it was...it also says on the case that it was as well.

wtf!!!!!

anyone else had the same experience??
I had the exact same thing happen to me when I first used iKlear on my glossy Macbook screen. The streaks went away the next time I used iKlear (sprayed on the cloth, not the screen) and made sure to rub the screen well with the included cloth. After that, the screen looked as good as new!

Apple Mac HQ - Apple/Mac News, Reviews, and More
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battery dead in 12" G4 - dangerous? | It gets a bit warm... »