New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Dropped Macbook, need help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jefenry

Jefenry is on a distinguished road

Okay, last night I accidentaly dropped my Macbook, and after restarting it everything seemed fine. I went to bed, and this morning I try to start it up, and after the grey screen with the apple and the little spining thing at the bottom, I get to a black screen with a white cursor in the top left. After spending an hour or so trying to restart (I tried Command-Option-P-R which didn't seem to do anything), I managed to get to the login screen. I logged in and found a few of my application icons had changed to something really weird. Some had random photos as icons and others had icons of different applications. I restarted a few times and the icon issue seemed to be resolved. So next I tried to get onto the internet to research my problem, but neither firefox nor safari would work. Next I downloaded the latest updates for my laptop, and after I finished I had to restart. So I restarted, and I'm back to the black screen with the white cursor. More restarting, and I get to another black screen where it says things like

No airport driver found
exited abnormally: Bad system call
respawning too quickly! throttling
5 more failures without living at least 60 seconds will cause job removal
will restart in 10 seconds

and a few times I've seen something like this-
localhoast:/ I have no name!#

A few more things-
The grey screen with the apple and the spining thing sometimes takes forever to get through, like 5 to 10 minutes.
The fall wasn't that high, and there's no external damage such as dents scratches or a cracked screen.

Is my hard drive shot? Is there any way to get my files? Do I need to reinstall OS X or take it to an Apple store?

Sorry for such a long post, but I tried to give you the most amount of info to work with. Thanks for your time, and any and all sugestions and help.

Jeff

(I think I put the wrong thread prefix)
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Jefenry!

Sorry to say this but I don't think you can solve this by software (reinstalling the OS). Sounds to me like some hardware component is going bad or something.
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

when in doubt, ask the guys at the apple store!
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

leave the "i dropped it" part out until its time to fess up

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
israelvalenciac

israelvalenciac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 320 HDD, Superdrive, Mighty Mouse

I'm sure there's some solution following kgeier82 advice; something inside the Mac must have broke down when it hit the ground although there are no visible scratches.

+Macbook; 2.16 GHz, 2GB Ram, 320 HDD, SuperDrive.
+Mighty Mouse Bluetooth.
+iPod Video Black 30GB.
+iPod Nano White 2 GB
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« tv connecting | Heating issues, not getting temp! »