New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - DVD Player Not Recognizing certain DVD'S (macbook is driving my insane)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

frankthetank966

frankthetank966 is on a distinguished road

I am having issues with my macbook recognizing my dvd's. It is the drive in my macbook that is not reading this discs. (Now, I am going to be completely honest with you, these are legal backups of dvd's that I have made. They are for my personal use only and are made in case anything happens to the original dvd.)

So i thought it was the dvd's initially soI tried them out on another dvd player and they played successfully. Therefore, it is most likely an issue with the macbook. I tried some original dvd's i have on hand (gone is 60 seconds and paperclips) and both of them work on my macbook and dvd player. this is very frustrating that my legal backups work on most dvd players and not my macbooks. maybe something is wrong that it does not recognize the format. any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank966 View Post
I am having issues with my macbook recognizing my dvd's. It is the drive in my macbook that is not reading this discs. (Now, I am going to be completely honest with you, these are legal backups of dvd's that I have made. They are for my personal use only and are made in case anything happens to the original dvd.)

So i thought it was the dvd's initially soI tried them out on another dvd player and they played successfully. Therefore, it is most likely an issue with the macbook. I tried some original dvd's i have on hand (gone is 60 seconds and paperclips) and both of them work on my macbook and dvd player. this is very frustrating that my legal backups work on most dvd players and not my macbooks. maybe something is wrong that it does not recognize the format. any thoughts?
is this of any help?

"MacBook Pro, MacBook, PowerBook G4, iBook G4: Troubleshooting the slot load disc drive"

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88275

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
frankthetank966

it loads (takes) the disc into the disc tray. that is not the issue. the issue is that is does not READ the disc. it is not recognizing that it is in there.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

I actually have the same problem... a little worse actually.

My DVD drive on my iMac frequently will not read DVD's and Software... I recently bought a couple Children's Games from the Apple Store in KC... brought them home, inserted in the drive... waited... waited... still waiting.... Nothing!!! Nothing what so ever...

Tried the next title... again.... nothing.

The worst part of it is that the MAJORITY of the time the iMac won't eject the disc... I hear it try to eject, but gets stuck.. then it tries to read the disc again.... and ..... you guessed it... Nothing...

I had to take it to an Apple Store about a 2 months ago because the disc was stuck in the drive... then the iMac was shut down... When trying to reboot.. the sytstem would not, I think it was trying to boot from the CD... The Apple tech had to open her up to get the disc (CD) out.

I need to get back to the Apple Store and ask to have the drive replaced.

Other than these minor drive issues... I LOVE this thing!
QUOTE Thanks
frankthetank966

ahhh so i am not the only one with a physically incable disc here. lol (since this is my fourth major issue with mac, do i get a refund) i know with dell you do if you have three major issues. anyways i hope i can resolve this before i leave and do not have internet access for a while
QUOTE Thanks
frankthetank966

Anybody know? I gotta go and will lose internet access.
QUOTE Thanks
Bill_Gates

Bill_Gates has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PB 12inch 1.33ghz 1.25gb/60gb pb 15inch 1.25ghz 1.25gb/160gb Power Mac G3 B&W Overclocked 500mhz

What was the method you used to make the back ups? What programs did you use? OS? Are these all the same type of media (Brand, -/+ R, etc)?

Has your drive only failed with burned dvd media? Does it ever occur with any other type of media?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

could be the media that you are using if all other types of disks work....try a different brand of disks
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
frankthetank966

Some of them work, some of them do not. I have tried all different brands. Plus the ones that did not work played on another macbook today at thwe apple store. I am getting a new drive soon.
QUOTE Thanks
AndrewL

AndrewL is on a distinguished road

I, too, am having problems with reading DVD-R discs. My drive reads commercially-produced CDs and DVDs perfectly, also CD-R discs.

When I insert a recorded DVD-R an error message says that the DVD-R is blank, when this is not the case.

Frustrating to find that this sort of problem has persisted for some time, without resolution.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 4, 3 iPods, OS X 10.9.2

A DVD-R disk recorded where? Recorded on the same machine that won't read them? And how were they recorded? Be specific if you want help. And is it a problem with every brand of DVD-R or certain brands?
QUOTE Thanks
Bob Kline

Bob Kline is on a distinguished road

I had some problems reading home-burnt DVDs as well - 'standard' DVDs were not a problem. I used compressed air to 'clean' the slot and could then read my DVDs just fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dual Monitor Setup | Is my MacBook dying? »