New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Looking at a refubr MacBook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Abdiel

Abdiel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" PowerBook 1.5ghz

When I busted the screen on my 12" Powerbook last summer I decided rather than to drop about $500 to repair it I'd just make it a "desktop" for my work office.

Now I'm just about ready to buy what will most likely be a refurbished 2Ghz Intel Dual Core Mac Book.

However, I was wondering.

I'm thinking of putting a copy of Windows XP on it as well and I was wondering if this unit would have the horsepower to run older Windows games. I'm talking games 4 or more years older. I'm not really a computer gamer except for some old favorites and World of Warcraft (but I'm betting that if my 3 year old Thinkpad can run it then I shouldn't have a problem with a fairly new MacBook.

Opinions please.
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

If you max out the RAM, then you would be fine with a MacBook. It will have no problems running Windows, and as for the games, it really depends. I don't know what kind of games you are talking about, but if they are really demanding, it might not work too well. The MacBook doesn't have any actual VRAM, and just uses shared RAM, but that is limited. The thing doesn't have a graphics card, so just keep that in mind.

I have a MacBook with the same processor, and maxed out RAM, and the thing just flies.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
Abdiel

Abdiel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" PowerBook 1.5ghz

I'm looking at putting games that are quite a few years old on it. Stuff like System Shock 2, Planescape: Torment maybe Fallout 1 and 2. Civilization III. Alpha Centari, Age of Mythology.... Stuff like that. I'm not thinking I'm gonna run Crysis on it or anything.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where did my .trash go? | To many foreigners owning a US Qwerty keyboard »