New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - New iBook - 39Gigs full - of 40gigs! WTF??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

7aull

7aull is on a distinguished road

New iBook G4-
transferred selected files/apps from my iMac via firewire per startup choice when initially booting up iBook (its 1 day old)
Now the iBook's HD is stuffed to all but 700Mb!!
Yeah, I was selective about what to transfer (I thought) - so get this:
I did a "get info" (to check file sizes) on each of the icons the ibook's HD presents when you click it open:
Documents : 1.71 Gigs
Applications: 7.31 Gigs
Utilities: 405 Mb
Applications OS9 - This one the computer couldn't find! (??)
Pictures: 112 Kb
Music: 6Mb
Maureen (this is our Home file, if that is the correct term- is wifey): 2.43 gigs
Total is, what? 11Gigs!
So where did the rest of the 28Gigs go????? Even if I can't get the OS 9
Apps file to open, there is NO WAY it was 28Gigs in size (the original iMac OS9 Apps file is 310 Mb!)
Help!!
How do I unclog all the drive space? And even if I just wipe the drive and start from scratch - how do I get files over from iMac without ending up full again? (and also - why can't I find the contents of the Applications OS9 file?)
Many thanks in advance-
Stu Aull
stumped in Alaska
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Remember - the iBook wasn't empty when you got it:

OS X itself plus all the iLife apps can take up a couple of (8 or so I think), and your harddrive doesn't actually have 40GB when formatted - it's more like 36 I believe.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

My ibook had maybe 29GB free on it when I got it. It's at 23 GB now. What iMac was this you copied the files from?
QUOTE Thanks
7aull

7aull is on a distinguished road

Hi guys- thanks for quick response-
When I click "command-i" (Get Info) on the iBook HD it sez:
Capacity: 37.14 Gigs
Available: 794.1 MB (!!!)
Used: 36.36 Gigs
I figure (using "get info") the total capacity of what we dumped over from our desktop iMac G4 to the iBook is about 15Ggs (unless a TON of "secret" files comes along with it all??). So what else is clogging this up?? Surely there wasn't almost TWENTY gigs of software pre-loaded from Apple?!
suggestions??
Stu
Alaska
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

That's weird. I have a 250Gb drive (232Gb formatted, 174Gb free) and when I open HD and get the sizes of library, applications, users etc it all adds up to the 58Gb I have apparently used.

Try deleting unneeded languages. You can gain a couple of gigabytes with this program:

http://www.coolosxapps.net/2007/02/0...s-from-os-x-2/
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Scratched Macbook | Macbook - Yuuuummmmmmy »