New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Help me whip it back into shape

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

UserofMacOSX

UserofMacOSX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"

OK, I'm just going to be straight-forward and to the point with this. Here is my list of problems:

1. Extremely slow Safari, the scrolling jerks horribly, nothing is smooth like new. But when I go to Sunrise or Firefox the problem follows after about 10 minutes of use.

2. Expose, Dashboard, and the Desktop thing are all slow and jerky, Dashboard takes foooreeeeeevvvvvvvveeeeeerrrr to load, I see blank widgets for about a minute before anything happens.

3. I have to restart every day for it to stay tolerable.

4. It does a huuuuuge amount of "thinking" before anything happens, the Finder is the only fast thing to open.

5. The fan comes on ALLL the time, when I only go to forums, IM people, and listen to iTunes.

6. Sometimes it just gets thinking spells, it will think for about 10 minutes when I have done nothing to provoke it.

7. I see a LOT more of the pinwheel than I used to, and there are hardly any aftermarket apps on here, a little music, some documents, and about 60-70 Kodak pictures.

Please help me like the Mac again, and dump some tricks on me too to make things easier. Thanks all!

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

My recollection from the previous thread was that you installed new RAM and problems started to follow after that. Is this correct? If so, first try removing the "new" RAM and going back to square one.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I agree with Todd, you did say it went a lot slower with the new RAM. Try it without that and see what happens. I would also try a reinstall and see if that helps. Something really sounds wrong. I am not saying my ibook runs like a new Core 2 Duo laptop, but it's far from slow and jerky. My fan rarely comes on and it's a very quiet machine doing Safari, Mail, iChat, Adium, Colloquy IRC and itunes. I only had 512GB RAM up to a day ago. It feels just as fast overall as my Compaq AMD 64 Laptop with XP SP2 which sort of shocked me.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

ToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant futureToddG has a brilliant future

Another thing you might try, take a screen shot of Activity Monitor so folks can see what processes you've got running, etc.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Honestly UserOf,
I would 1st recommend doing what ToddG said regarding checking the RAM... Then, especially if you don't have much 3rd party stuff on it, I would do a clean install and start fresh. It really should be a joy to use. Let us know if this tips help.

EDIT: I'm too s l o w .
QUOTE Thanks
UserofMacOSX

I have the Activity Monitor thing open, but everything is always changing, what the heck am I supposed to do with it? It is showing that iTunes is using the most of the CPU.

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserofMacOSX View Post
I have the Activity Monitor thing open, but everything is always changing, what the heck am I supposed to do with it? It is showing that iTunes is using the most of the CPU.
Drag the bottom corner of the Activity Monitor Window to let it show quite a bit of info....

Then press... Apple+Shift+4 your cursor will turn to crosshairs... now press the Spacebar.. the crosshairs turn into a camera.. move the camera over the Activity Monitor window and press Enter...

Upload the picture that is left on your desk top for us to see... it should be named "picture 1.jpg"

EDIT: Oooh I'm getting faster
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

whoa, man. iTunes? How big is your iTunes library?

Even an Archive and Install could help. You should do that. How much HDD space do you have left?

I don't think any computer, Mac or PC, if well maintained, should be like that

EDIT: Darn. I should of read your original post. A little music.
QUOTE Thanks
UserofMacOSX

OK, it changes ALL the time, so I'll tell you. When I do nothing but leave iTunes on, it stays around 3 blocks. When I move the cursor, about 5 turn green, reloading a page in Safari takes nearly all of them, I closed Mail and reopened it just to see, and it held all of them for a while. As I type this, it goes from 3-6, if I type fast it takes more of them blocks. When I turned on the screensaver with the hot corner, it went all the way. Scrolling with two fingers takes all but 2. Just selecting iTunes in the Dock to bring it to the front takes almost all of it. I dunno what any of this means, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

RIDE ... I use Apple-Shift-4 all the time but didn't know about the Spacebar/camera/window trick, thanks! Tried to give you rep but the system says I've been too generous over the past 24 hours, sorry.
QUOTE Thanks
UserofMacOSX

I have (minus the original sounds) about 45-60 songs. That's it.
Here is what the Disk Utility says:
Capacity : 55.8 GB (59,877,387,264 Bytes)
Available : 37.3 GB (40,008,101,888 Bytes)
Used : 18.5 GB (19,869,282,304 Bytes)
Number of Files : 370,073

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
ToddG

Your HDD has plenty of space. We need to see memory and processor usage.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserofMacOSX View Post
OK, it changes ALL the time, so I'll tell you. When I do nothing but leave iTunes on, it stays around 3 blocks. When I move the cursor, about 5 turn green, reloading a page in Safari takes nearly all of them, I closed Mail and reopened it just to see, and it held all of them for a while. As I type this, it goes from 3-6, if I type fast it takes more of them blocks. When I turned on the screensaver with the hot corner, it went all the way. Scrolling with two fingers takes all but 2. Just selecting iTunes in the Dock to bring it to the front takes almost all of it. I dunno what any of this means, but I just thought I'd throw it out there.
Still. Take a couple of screen shots of it in CPU and Memory. We need to see what is running and might spot something wrong. It will help us help you.
QUOTE Thanks
UserofMacOSX

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
UserofMacOSX

The strange thing is, I don't even have Kodak running. Or most of that stuff. I have triangles under Finder, Dashboard, Safari, iTunes, and Mail. Well, the Activity monitor too.

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New Harddrive | iColours »