Specs:
    Macbook Pro, Mabook Air, Ipad Mini Retina, Ipad Air2, Airport Time Capsule, 2x Iphone 6
    Hard-drive always spinning?
    Recently new to the macbook from the ibook. I noticed that the dard-drive is constantly spinning. Under the handrest by the trackpad there seems to be a constant vibration, well more of a humm that yopu feel, not hear if you know what I mean. Nothing major, it's not hot to the touch, no noise, really no big deal. I was just wondering if this was normal. It just seems like the hard-drive is always spinning. Now, I am coming to the macbook from the ibook and I know the ibook hard-drive was in a different location, so the drive in it may have been spinning constantly as well, I may have just not noticed it. Anyway, is it supposed to run constantly?

Specs:
    Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
    Mine did, but then again it just crapped out last weekend. So I couldn't tell you for sure what it's supposed to do.
    Black MacBook
    Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
    B&W G3
    G4's - PowerMac & Cube

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OS10.12, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OS10.12 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Hard Drives always spin while the computer is on unless you have OSX sleep the drive at some point. So yes, the drive is turning constantly. Does in any computer that is powered up. The drive is not constantly accessing though when it's just sitting there, but the platters are rotating. Some vibrate more than others.

Specs:
    Macbook Pro, Mabook Air, Ipad Mini Retina, Ipad Air2, Airport Time Capsule, 2x Iphone 6
    OK great, thanks so much. I guess I was thrown off by the ibook's drive location. Never felt it like this before. Thanks again.

Thread Information