Help with selling a PowerBook G4

Okay, so I'm getting an itch for a new MacBook Pro and want to sell my PowerBook G4... I'm gonna list what it has (hardware and software) and what I originally paid for it... could you all tell me what you think I can sell it for?

PowerBook G4 17"
    2GB RAM
    1.5 GHz
    80GB hard drive
    128MB Graphics Memory
    Adobe Creative Suite
    Adobe Font Folio 9
    Extensis Suitcase Fusion
    Microsoft Office 2004
    Quicktime Pro
    iLife '06
    Norton Antivirus 10
    Apple Remote Desktop 3

Price from Apple w/o software: $3911.25

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn.sorrentin View Post
    Okay, so I'm getting an itch for a new MacBook Pro and want to sell my PowerBook G4... I'm gonna list what it has (hardware and software) and what I originally paid for it... could you all tell me what you think I can sell it for?

PowerBook G4 17"
    2GB RAM
    1.5 GHz
    80GB hard drive
    128MB Graphics Memory
    Adobe Creative Suite
    Adobe Font Folio 9
    Extensis Suitcase Fusion
    Microsoft Office 2004
    Quicktime Pro
    iLife '06
    Norton Antivirus 10
    Apple Remote Desktop 3

Price from Apple w/o software: $3911.25
    I find that when I'm trying to gauge a fair market value for a piece of computer equipment, eBay is a pretty good indicator of what the market will bare. Looking around, similarly equipped units seem to hover around $1000 (haven't seen any with all that software). Unfortunately, with the introduction of Intel processors, PPC Mac resale values have dipped pretty low.

I'd recommend you keep the major software packages, as otherwise you'd need to purchase them all over again since it sounds like you're sticking to Mac. I also don't think that software is a major draw for those shopping used machines since most people will just do a clean install.

Specs:
    2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
    I agree with cwa107.. I would say $900-$1000. $1000 tops.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007

Specs:
    here is a good site that I use to price macs. they seem to be pretty much on the money.

http://www.everymac.com/

Specs:
    15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by KoDorSean View Post
    here is a good site that I use to price macs. they seem to be pretty much on the money.

http://www.everymac.com/
    Welp, Everymac.com estimates $1200-1300 (great link, by the way - hadn't seen that before). I'd say with the 2GB of RAM and all the software he might be able to fetch $1300 if he found just the right buyer (i.e. someone who had a professional need for the packages and is steadfast on buying used / sticking with the PPC platform).

But again, I wouldn't hope to get a good price based on the software you're including. Most people buying used are likely going to be home users, those trying to save a few bucks and not necessarily pros who need the best of the best. With those packages, you might be pricing it out of the market, even though there's true value there.

Let's put it this way, it would be akin to putting granite countertops into a 800 sq. ft. house. Granite countertops have a lot of value, but they won't be fully appreciated by someone who's in the market for a house that small. Is that a reasonable analogy?

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
    Welp, Everymac.com estimates $1200-1300 (great link, by the way - hadn't seen that before). I'd say with the 2GB of RAM and all the software he might be able to fetch $1300 if he found just the right buyer (i.e. someone who had a professional need for the packages and is steadfast on buying used / sticking with the PPC platform).

But again, I wouldn't hope to get a good price based on the software you're including. Most people buying used are likely going to be home users, those trying to save a few bucks and not necessarily pros who need the best of the best. With those packages, you might be pricing it out of the market, even though there's true value there.

Let's put it this way, it would be akin to putting granite countertops into a 800 sq. ft. house. Granite countertops have a lot of value, but they won't be fully appreciated by someone who's in the market for a house that small. Is that a reasonable analogy?
    good point.. and as we all know what something is worth and what someone can get out of it are two totally different things. its retail value might be $1200-$1300 but what someone will actually pay might be quite a bit lower.

Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    But the key to ask is: Are you going to include the original software disks when you sell it? If you aren't then you cant include the software in the selling price.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10

Thread Information