New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Remote with Refurbs?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

StevenH

StevenH is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD

Do you still get the remote with Refurbished Macbooks? How about manual and system cds?
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenH View Post
Do you still get the remote with Refurbished Macbooks? How about manual and system cds?
It will come with everything a new macbook would come with.. so yes it will come with a remote/manual/system cds etc.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

According to Apple's refirb listing for a MBP:

Refurbished MacBook Pro
- MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug and power cord
- Lithium-polymer battery
- Apple Remote
- DVI to VGA adapter
- Install/restore DVDs
- Printed and electronic documentation

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

Hello - I just bought a refurb - maybe a week ago and I got everything I'd expect. In fact I got more than I'd expect as they sent me one with extra RAM in it.

Only 2 things that surprised me - one it came in a brown box - this was not a big deal as the box lives in the roof space and the other surprise - Apple didn't remove the account as setup by the previous owner - but this was not hard to resolve - a refurb MacBook is a good buy.
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like you get a couple more things with the MBP - I didn't get a DVI-VGA adaptor - but don't think I was expecting that anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDdave View Post
Sounds like you get a couple more things with the MBP - I didn't get a DVI-VGA adaptor - but don't think I was expecting that anyway.
that comes standard with mbp's

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
StevenH

Mac Specs: White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD

Thanks for the replies - I just had a last moment panic there but it's alright now. Phew!
Just so you know, I DID check on the Apple Refurb Store but on the UK page it doesn't specify so I thought I'd better just check.

Quote:
That's Ok I wasn't expecting one too anyway. It sounds like its got everything that I'm expecting.

BTW, @RNDdave, did you get a Black Macbook too? I heard that it comes with white charger and remote. How does it look? You like the matte surface?

I just got told that there's a 'pretty good chance' that it's gonna be delivered tomorrow! YAY!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenH View Post
Thanks for the replies - I just had a last moment panic there but it's alright now. Phew!
Just so you know, I DID check on the Apple Refurb Store but on the UK page it doesn't specify so I thought I'd better just check.

That's Ok I wasn't expecting one too anyway. It sounds like its got everything that I'm expecting.

BTW, @RNDdave, did you get a Black Macbook too? I heard that it comes with white charger and remote. How does it look? You like the matte surface?

I just got told that there's a 'pretty good chance' that it's gonna be delivered tomorrow! YAY!!!!
Afraid not; I went for the White one - and I love it - the black one is pretty nice as well like - in an ideal world - I'd have both - if that world was truly ideal then no doubt I'd be able to type/use both laptops at the same time.

Ah well - I live in hope.

Anyway - no the BlackBook does not come with Black accessories - and me being a little sad like I am - decided I wanted my iPod and MacBook to be similar so bought the white variants of both.

I don't think having white accessories with a black macbook is a bad thing - the striking colours look good together.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Afraid not; I went for the White one - and I love it - the black one is pretty nice as well like - in an ideal world - I'd have both - if that world was truly ideal then no doubt I'd be able to type/use both laptops at the same time.

Ah well - I live in hope.

Anyway - no the BlackBook does not come with Black accessories - and me being a little sad like I am - decided I wanted my iPod and MacBook to be similar so bought the white variants of both.

I don't think having white accessories with a black macbook is a bad thing - the striking colours look good together.
I have a feeling the machine you received did not actually go through the refurbishment process. I also purchased a refurb unit (in my case, a MacBook Pro). Although it did come in a plain, brown box, all of the accessories were included and everything was in like-new condition. The hard disk had a clean install and in fact, I had to go through part of the setup process. I'd imagine that yours was mistakenly repacked without the benefit of actually being refurbished. I would recommend bringing this up with Apple support.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

The listing on the refurb site will show you exactly what is included with each package. When you click on the "more info" link, it gives you a breakdown of everything included.
If something isn't listed and you think it should be or want to know more info, then give Apple a call and make sure you have the exact listing in front of you.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I have a feeling the machine you received did not actually go through the refurbishment process. I also purchased a refurb unit (in my case, a MacBook Pro). Although it did come in a plain, brown box, all of the accessories were included and everything was in like-new condition. The hard disk had a clean install and in fact, I had to go through part of the setup process. I'd imagine that yours was mistakenly repacked without the benefit of actually being refurbished. I would recommend bringing this up with Apple support.
First: off thanks for you comments

Second: I should point out that I did get all brand new accessories - or accessories that were in very good condition and certainly looked new.

Third: I was quite surprised even a little disappointed when my MacBook arrived and had not been set in a fresh configuration - however; as I later found out - Apple sent me a refurb which actually contained twice as much RAM as they'd advertised it with - so I prob wont be taking this up with Apple I think a previous owners account name/password in return for and extra Gig of RAM was a fair trade off

Refurbs are a good buy in my opinion - the money I saved allowed me to seriously consider the 30GB iPod I now own as well
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

RnDave, I know you are happy about getting more ram than advertised, but if your macbook still had the old acct on it, I would be a little worried. Refurbs are supposed to come in "factory" condition. Meaning totally zeroed out hard-drive. I got one and had to go through the entire set-up process. If I were you, I may be a little worried that the macbook wasn't totally gone over by apple techs. they may have missed fixing the reason it was refurbished to begin with along with missing the excess ram and the old user acct. You may have a great totally fixed machine, but then again I would be worried that the techs missed the reason it was a refurb to begin with and I would worry about problems later on. P.S. I actually had my wife mad at me for a day when my macbook arrived. this thing was FLAWLESS and she thought I spent more cash and got a new one. I had to prove to her it was used by showing her the receipt. Apple does an awesome job restoring their refurbs to pristine condition.
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

Yeah; I never thought of it like that.

Good point - so is this something I should email them about? I guess if I give them the serial number or something they can tell what did or did not happen right?
QUOTE Thanks
jaster

jaster will become famous soon enough

Worth a try RNDave. No telling what else they missed. Maybe that was it, maybe not. I would at least be a little concerned.
QUOTE Thanks
StevenH

Quote:
....Anyway - no the BlackBook does not come with Black accessories - and me being a little sad like I am - decided I wanted my iPod and MacBook to be similar so bought the white variants of both.
Well in fact, the fact that I already have a black Video Ipod was a crucial factor in my decision! And hey, its not sad! Its nice to have a matching color ipod-macbook set. Apple would want it no other way .

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
The listing on the refurb site will show you exactly what is included with each package. When you click on the "more info" link, it gives you a breakdown of everything included.
If something isn't listed and you think it should be or want to know more info, then give Apple a call and make sure you have the exact listing in front of you.
This is the page I was directed to when I clicked on "More Info". I'm browsing the UK store. I had a quick check on the US site and it did seem more detailed??

Quote:
Yeah; I never thought of it like that.

Good point - so is this something I should email them about? I guess if I give them the serial number or something they can tell what did or did not happen right?
I wouldn't mate. If you did they might ask to take it back - you've always got the 1 Year warranty that comes with it. I'm sure if it's got something wrong with it you'd find out about it within that year long period.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help with selling a PowerBook G4 | My MacBook Blemish »