New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Cracked case

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fruvos

fruvos is on a distinguished road

My MacBook has recently gone through a minor disaster, and now has a crack on the casing. It is on the inner-top casing, just to the left of the trackpad and is about 6cm long and 5mm from the edge of the case. Whilst it doesn't affect the operation of the machine in any way, it looks terrible and is in danger of catching on my sleeve and being pulled off completely.

I could possibly glue it down myself, but I'm not sure what is below that area and would hate to damage it.

Given the discolouration problems that early MacBooks had, I'm sure that the replacement of this casing is fairly straightforward. My question is, where would I get this done, and how much should I expect it to cost? I'm based in the Glasgow, Scotland, so there are no Apple Stores nearby to drop in to, but there are a few Apple resellers who may be able to replace it. Is it user-replaceable? Where would I order up a replacement case?

Any help would be much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93C2D 4GB

I wouldn't think it's considered "User replaceable" but should be a simple fix. Just call one of the local resellers and ask if they can get the parts delivered and give you a quote.

Definitely do not just glue it down yourself. Considering the value of the Macbook I'd say it's worth investing in getting it fixed correctly. How did it happen by the way?
QUOTE Thanks
fruvos

to be honest, I don't know how it happened. the MacBook is pretty much desk based, and has never been submitted to any knocks or bangs (not that they would affect it as the crack is on the inside top, so it's not as if it's a product of it being dropped on its corner etc)

the only thing I can think is that it is a stress crack as it is pretty much where my left hand sits on top of the rest while typing. I only noticed it yesterday, so I don't know when it happened.
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

moss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nicemoss918 is just really nice

You must have some heavy hands! I'd be pretty upset if I had that and didn't know where it came from. If possible can you post back here when you find out how much it's going to be to fix?

(If, by any chance you where born with an extreemely large left hand then I am sincerely sorry for any offense I may have caused...)
QUOTE Thanks
fruvos

hehe. regular sized hands (in fact, I'd say on the small side if anything!)

the case has always made a creak from that area, so I can only guess that it's been a badly fitted case and the stress has just caused it to fracture.

will post on here once I locate someone who can replace it and get a quote from them!
QUOTE Thanks
moss918

Good Luck mate!
QUOTE Thanks
macbookdabest

macbookdabest has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!

does anyone know how much the casing is for a macbook?
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruvos View Post
hehe. regular sized hands (in fact, I'd say on the small side if anything!)

the case has always made a creak from that area, so I can only guess that it's been a badly fitted case and the stress has just caused it to fracture.

will post on here once I locate someone who can replace it and get a quote from them!
http://www.scotsys.co.uk/

or

http://www.s3interactive.co.uk/

They are close to you and both authorised service providers.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks
Macbooker15

Macbooker15 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 13'' 2ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 gig of ram, 6x Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fruvos View Post
My MacBook has recently gone through a minor disaster, and now has a crack on the casing. It is on the inner-top casing, just to the left of the trackpad and is about 6cm long and 5mm from the edge of the case. Whilst it doesn't affect the operation of the machine in any way, it looks terrible and is in danger of catching on my sleeve and being pulled off completely.

I could possibly glue it down myself, but I'm not sure what is below that area and would hate to damage it.

Given the discolouration problems that early MacBooks had, I'm sure that the replacement of this casing is fairly straightforward. My question is, where would I get this done, and how much should I expect it to cost? I'm based in the Glasgow, Scotland, so there are no Apple Stores nearby to drop in to, but there are a few Apple resellers who may be able to replace it. Is it user-replaceable? Where would I order up a replacement case?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a crack also, but mine is on the top left of my 'book , and it has never had any bumps.

It seems to get bigger every day!!!

Why Upgrade to Vista When You can buy a Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
maanico1

maanico1 is on a distinguished road

is it possible that the cracks could be some kind of "stress fracture" caused by the "separators" to the left and right of the isight? im having a similar problem as the TC on the left of the trackpad, and the right looks like it may crack as well. (the separators line up perfectly with the crack)
QUOTE Thanks
fruvos

not wanting to be without my MacBook whilst I was away, I covered it with a sticker to ensure that the loose piece didn't get caught and break off.

having run with it for a few weeks I was getting to the point where I didn't mind the crack as it was totally unnoticeable. however, I've now noticed that the exact same crack has appeared on the right hand side!

my MacBook has not been under any duress. and is mainly used as a desktop machine, so it's not damage in any way. it appears much more to be an issue with the two bevels above the screen to keep spacing between the screen and the keyboard. I think these are applying too much pressure to the palm rests.

I don't have the luxury of an Apple Store here in Glasgow (yet!) so can anyone tell me what the procedure / likelihood of Apple replacing this part is? My local dealer (scotsys) said that it wouldn't be covered by the warranty and would cost a minimum of £75 to get the casing replaced
QUOTE Thanks
DistantHoller

DistantHoller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0 c2d 2gb 80gb SD Mac Mini c2d 1.83

Have you tried to call Apple support? Perhaps this is a known problem (perhaps with that batch) that they may fix for free?
QUOTE Thanks
BigDogAT

BigDogAT is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook

My MacBook is at the Apple Store right now getting fixed because of this issue. I had two cracks on the inside of the case - one on the right (right where my hand would rest to type) and one on the left outside edge. When I called Apple support they said this is a "known issue" and they are replacing it for me. I am still within my warranty period so.....
QUOTE Thanks
polskie

polskie is on a distinguished road

i too have a crack on my macbook. its on the right bottom corner like where my hand rest's on it. its small but its really annoying me.. and it looks like its going to get bigger or somthing... what should i do
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Forced restart after opening lid... | Play iTunes w MacBook closed? »