Macbook had a nice bath...
    Like the title says... My MacBook recently had it's first and last bath... In other words, I fell asleep and spilled my half full glass of water all over the left side of my MacBook where all the ports are... :dive:

I panicked, so I wiped the water off the outside then used a hairdryer to try and save the inside... Luckily, it worked... Sorta...

It has to be plugged in for it to work now... It's been an hour since the "incident" happened and it still won't work on it's battery... I pulled the battery out and found a whole lot of water inside... I knew that was no good... So I immediately wiped off all the water and started to blow dry... After 5-10 minutes of that... Still no good... It still fails to detect my battery...

And another sad thing is... I got the "flickering backlight" problem 2 weeks after getting my MacBook last August of 2006... The problem recently stopped last month... But now after this... It's back!

If there's anyone out there that has had a similar experience or knows the solution to this problem... Please help me out... It would be greatly appreciated... Thanks.

Reskiy

Specs:
    MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
    OMG - unlucky!

Sorry no ideas - I guess the water could have shorted the battery?? Do you know anyone else with a macbook so you could see if your macbook will still work with a known good battery?

ideally, you should have immediately turned everything off and yanked the battery, maybe for a few days to be sure everything was completely dry before turning it back on. if there wasn't any damage initially, you might have caused some by trying it again and again. if it's within a year old, or you have apple care, take it in.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    ideally, you should have immediately turned everything off and yanked the battery, maybe for a few days to be sure everything was completely dry before turning it back on. if there wasn't any damage initially, you might have caused some by trying it again and again. if it's within a year old, or you have apple care, take it in.
    I'm glad it is within a year old... That way I can still take it back to be repaired... Right?

Oh, and the MacBook was switched off and unplugged when the water spilled all over it... Does that change anything or am I still screwed? :closed:

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    You can take it in, but it won't be covered by warranty. Accidental damage is not covered, only defects in manufacturing.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

that helps, but if you turned it on when it was still wet, well... yikes!
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Quote Originally Posted by schweb View Post
    You can take it in, but it won't be covered by warranty. Accidental damage is not covered, only defects in manufacturing.
    Thanks for telling me that early on... Or I would've looked stupid in the AppleCenter expecting free service for my own stupidity... How much do repairs cost anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    that helps, but if you turned it on when it was still wet, well... yikes!
    I tried switching it on after letting it dry... And it worked... But it just doesn't want to work on it's batteries... The batteries still light up though.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    It depends on what's broken. Just take it in and get an estimate.

Depending on what's broken though, it's often cheaper to just buy a new laptop than fix the current one.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Specs:
    MacBook Pro, iPhone
    Sell all of it's usable parts!

Thread Information