New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - powerbook G4 won't start

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

spider999

spider999 is on a distinguished road

My powerbook G4 is about 18 months old. Yesterday whilst on the net it froze and it told me to restart. This I did and it ran for about two minutes before the same thing happened. When I restarted it it came up with the starting mac OSX window and then the same message appeared.

Now when I turn it on the fans start, the optical drive runs and then it makes two low beeps before doing nothing else. I have no applecare so they won't help appart from directing me to the website. I've tried resetting the PMU and the PRAM (i think thats what they called it!) but with no joy. I also tried starting from the install disk but again no joy.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be a greatfull recipient an IT friend says it sounds like bad memory but was very non-committal.

Thanks in advance.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

1 beep = no RAM installed
2 beeps = incompatible RAM types
3 beeps = no good banks
4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block)
5 beeps = processor is not usable

Have you installed any RAM lately?

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider999 View Post
My powerbook G4 is about 18 months old. Yesterday whilst on the net it froze and it told me to restart. This I did and it ran for about two minutes before the same thing happened. When I restarted it it came up with the starting mac OSX window and then the same message appeared.

Now when I turn it on the fans start, the optical drive runs and then it makes two low beeps before doing nothing else. I have no applecare so they won't help appart from directing me to the website. I've tried resetting the PMU and the PRAM (i think thats what they called it!) but with no joy. I also tried starting from the install disk but again no joy.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be a greatfull recipient an IT friend says it sounds like bad memory but was very non-committal.

Thanks in advance.

Troubleshooting: My computer won't turn on

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300552

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
spider999

Thanks for the replys. Already tried the trouble shooting stuff with no luck.

I haven't installed any extra RAM, could this mean what's inside is dead?
With that in mind could changing the RAM solve all my troubles.
QUOTE Thanks
spider999

Quote:
Originally Posted by rman View Post
3 beeps = no good banks
simple question what are banks?
QUOTE Thanks
???

??? is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.0Ghz

Its a real long shot, take out your wireless card. Very unlikely, but its simple to do and worth a crack.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider999 View Post
simple question what are banks?
Memory banks are the physical slots on the motherboard, that RAM is installed into.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ibook keyboard shortcuts... | airport help »