New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Macbook backlight doesnt work

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mactrouble123

mactrouble123 is on a distinguished road

I bought a macbook (13") around 6 months back. Two days back accidentally, the water bottle in my bag spilled some water and some of it made its way into the macbook. I can't really tell how much of it was there - not very significant.

When I started the macbook - the backlight didn't work. Everything else does - I could back up all my data etc. Its still boots up and works fine -just cant see anything (you'll have to look really hard at an angle).

I took it to the Apple store - they quoted 750$ for a logic board change - It was their suspicion that its a logic board issue. Can someone help me or give me pointers on where I can get it serviced for cheaper?

Btw, Apple doesn't cover accidental damage like this.
QUOTE Thanks
Mort_Infinatis

Mort_Infinatis is on a distinguished road

Try right clicking your desktop so a little panel comes up and see what it says there. You should be able to find something
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

If you like your warranty, then you can't do it. The only places you can get it done without voiding the warranty is by a certified Apple tech.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
mactrouble123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort_Infinatis View Post
Try right clicking your desktop so a little panel comes up and see what it says there. You should be able to find something
Man its either a joke or a cryptic clue - I'll go home and try - but if possible can you spend some more words please?
QUOTE Thanks
mactrouble123

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchR View Post
If you like your warranty, then you can't do it. The only places you can get it done without voiding the warranty is by a certified Apple tech.
I dont care about my warranty right now , coz anyways I'm going to shell out at least 700$!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of

Either way, I'm not sure of many people besides certified apple techs that will even touch apple products.

QUOTE Thanks
mactrouble123

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchR View Post
Either way, I'm not sure of many people besides certified apple techs that will even touch apple products.
Apple guys asked me to contact Tech Restore as they may be cheaper. As it turns out, they are more expensive. I came across a bunch of websites which do service Macbooks, none of them cheaper than the 750$ Apple quoted. My dilemma is that I am not sure if the Apple techie was sure about this being a logic board issue. If it just the screen replacement - I could get it done in < 400$ or even less if I look harder. I am in quite a fix.
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

I'd think it wasn't the logic board since everything works other than the screen. But they really can't be sure, until after they open it up.

QUOTE Thanks
mactrouble123

Anyone else got any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Mac techs ALWAYS say it's a logic board issue... the thing could be on fire and about to go super-nova and they'd say that.

More likely, your LCD backlight has shorted - I'd take it to an independent computer repairs shop and ask them to look at it. The $750 you have been quoted is Apple's standard 'fix anything' quote.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
sleepy_monkey

sleepy_monkey is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook/13.3"/2.16GHz Intel C2D/1GB RAM/120GB HD/Ipod 20 Gig

It's not the logic board. I have the same problem...except mine just stopped working...the backlight I mean.

I got on Apple's site and the ONLY way to fix the backlight is to replace the entire screen...which is about $700+ which is RIDICULOUS. I would rather just buy a new iBook personally.

HOWEVER, if you look on ebay, you can find broken iBooks and buy it and use the screen...I just havent found one that is the same size as mine.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Unless you're really good with this sort of thing or know somebody who is, I would actually consider going the other route.
According to the Apple certified techs at my company Macbook display fixes are the worst. You might even get your hands on a new logic board, install it and still not have a working backlight...

I'd sell the Macbook on eBay, making sure you describe the problem accurately. You'll probably get $600 for it at least and if you pick up a macbook on apple's refurb site you can get a new one for around $900...
QUOTE Thanks
sleepy_monkey

So a few months back, the backlight on my iBook G4 went out. It is only about a year and a half old, and not having the Apple care, and not being able to spend $700+ on a new screen (i would rather just put that towards a MacBookPro anyhow!)....I went by an Apple Dealer in Birmingham (my g/f got a macbook pro ) and told him about my backlight. He said he had this happen before too and told me to bring it in and he would try something.....SO I did and he FIXED IT!! All he did was type in codes and I got him to write it down so I could post it here.

1. Turn iBook OFF.

2. Hold Apple-Option-O-F

3. After 15-30 seconds, Release Keys

4. TYPE:

RESET-NVRAM
SET-DEFAULTS
RESET-ALL

(each followed by "return", which means press 'return')

This should work, it did for mine! I was so excited...now I can see everything as clearly as I had before...I didnt realize what a difference that makes!

Please let me know if this helped anyone out!
QUOTE Thanks
mactrouble123

So when you switch the iBook on and hold the Apple-Option-O-F - my macbook just starts normally

Where do i type the instructions you mention?
QUOTE Thanks
sleepy_monkey

you have to make sure its turned OFF
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBA running very slow: kernel_task using 150% cpu | Open lid - 1 monitor doesn't wake up »