New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Macbook - Yuuuummmmmmy

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

celtictricky

celtictricky is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, 2gb, 250gb HD

I've just aquired myself a nice black macbook.

Its only got 512mb ram, so would like to get this upgraded as I have been told it will make the biggest difference.

Where in the UK is the best place to do this, and also how much Ram can I install?

What cost can I expect it to be?

Thanks in advance

Celtic
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

someone else will surely be able to answer this better than i, but i just wanted to say congrats on the new macbook and welcome to the forums!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
RNDdave

RNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the roughRNDdave is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Alu MacBook | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | iPad2 (3G)

I think the max RAM you can install in a Macbook is 2GB (which would require you to discard your existing RAM)

1GB is about £65 for branded stuff from ebuyer.com.

I use this company frequently for PC stuff and they are pretty good. Some of their value stuff can be a real steal - prices are much lower than the high street stores - but unfortunately some of the bargain stuff is cheap for a reason! When it comes to RAM - it is probably better to get a branded make rather than save a few quid on the value stuff - however in this case (as of writing) 1GB of branded stuff is actually a few pence cheaper than the same size value stuff.

Anyway - congrats on the purchase - I've just bought a white MacBook - A little unhappy in the beginning but I'm loving it now.
QUOTE Thanks
celtictricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDdave View Post
I think the max RAM you can install in a Macbook is 2GB (which would require you to discard your existing RAM)

1GB is about 65 for branded stuff from ebuyer.com.

I use this company frequently for PC stuff and they are pretty good. Some of their value stuff can be a real steal - prices are much lower than the high street stores - but unfortunately some of the bargain stuff is cheap for a reason! When it comes to RAM - it is probably better to get a branded make rather than save a few quid on the value stuff - however in this case (as of writing) 1GB of branded stuff is actually a few pence cheaper than the same size value stuff.

Anyway - congrats on the purchase - I've just bought a white MacBook - A little unhappy in the beginning but I'm loving it now.
Many thanks for the feedback. Yes, 120 quid for 2Gb of ram is not bad at all - Do you think it will make a difference to the machine. I do find it a little slow, especially when using iPhoto (Which has about 5000 pictures in it!!)

Very pleased with it indeed at the moment - but it does take a little getting used to and having been a windows user for a number of years, everything in my gaff is pc based.....so for example I cannot seem to connect to my Printer Server.....or cannot seem to figure out how to map drives.....but its all a learning curve :-)

Celtic
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

You'll find a world of difference with 2G of RAM. Mine has only 1G, but it's pretty snappy even with non-universal stuff like Photoshop. I demand quite a bit from it running multiple browsers, Photoshop, iTunes, and some other apps all while using multi-desktops. It chugs along fine. At some time in the future I'll go up to 2G, but for now it's great! 2G will make the most out of a fine machine.

And congrats on the purchase. I have a white one while I got my wife a black one. I'm only slightly jealous of it, but she LOVES it! Besides, my white Macbook matches my white Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard, Mighty Mouse, iPod, headphones, external monitor, external monitor DVI-VGA adapter....power brick; you get the idea.

Oh, to map drives go in finder to the Go menu and select 'Connect to Server'. If you're wanting to map a windows or samba share, type in smb://nameofmachine (or smb://ip.address.of.machine) you want to connect to in the resulting dialog. It should give you a box that has the shares available on that machine and the ability to authenticate if necessary. Select the share you want to map, and it should show up on your desktop just like your hard drive, except it'll have that internet-y icon. To disconnect, drag it to the trash.
QUOTE Thanks
celtictricky

Thanks for your comments guys.

I have ordered 2Gb of ram this morning from Ebuyer, so I hope to have the machine zipping along in no time :-)

Regarding the mapping - yes I have found the connect to server, and indeed the share does appear on the desktop. But, when I reboot I have to connect again....which is ok, but a bit of a pain.

Regards

Celtic
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtictricky View Post
Thanks for your comments guys.

Regarding the mapping - yes I have found the connect to server, and indeed the share does appear on the desktop. But, when I reboot I have to connect again....which is ok, but a bit of a pain.

Celtic
Simple solution to that problem: don't reboot. A fairly high percentage of Mac users don't bother with shutting them down, but rather put 'em to sleep. You're mapped share should be there waiting for you once it instantly comes back to life. That's what I do. I'll reboot about once a week maybe for the Macbook, but back when I had a desktop Mac Mini I kept it up for weeks at a time, only shutting it down when Software Update required a reboot.

I don't think my wife has rebooted hers since she first turned it on, come to think of it. It's sleeping in the bedroom with the cats right now :p
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
Simple solution to that problem: don't reboot. A fairly high percentage of Mac users don't bother with shutting them down, but rather put 'em to sleep. You're mapped share should be there waiting for you once it instantly comes back to life. That's what I do. I'll reboot about once a week maybe for the Macbook, but back when I had a desktop Mac Mini I kept it up for weeks at a time, only shutting it down when Software Update required a reboot.

I don't think my wife has rebooted hers since she first turned it on, come to think of it. It's sleeping in the bedroom with the cats right now :p
Make a alias to the network share in your start portion of your user account, I would give your a more descriptive answer but I am at work right now on a PC
QUOTE Thanks
celtictricky

Well I've orderd the 2Gb, and it will be here on Tuesday.

Is it easy to fit - or should I expect any problems?

I'm really hoping that it does make a BIG difference - its not that great when using multiple apps at the moment, so fingers crossed!
QUOTE Thanks
jram

jram is a jewel in the roughjram is a jewel in the rough

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303721
QUOTE Thanks
StevenH

StevenH is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by celtictricky View Post
I've just aquired myself a nice black macbook.

Its only got 512mb ram, so would like to get this upgraded as I have been told it will make the biggest difference.

Where in the UK is the best place to do this, and also how much Ram can I install?

What cost can I expect it to be?

Thanks in advance

Celtic
Hi Celtic. I'm exactly the same as you - got myself a tasty new(refurbished) Black Macbook today! My first thoughts were also exactly the same as you; to upgrade the RAM.

However, I decided against Ebuyer. The last few orders with them have been either late or I've had to return them. Saying that, they do great deals and I hope yours are fine! Post on here and prove me wrong!

I went for Orcalogic myself who gave me a price of 120.50 for 2GB including express delivery. It should be arriving on Tuesday!

The instructions on the Apple site (thanks jram) seem easy enough - I can't wait!
QUOTE Thanks
slashjunior

slashjunior is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)

My MacBook has 1GB of RAM. Is upgrading to 2GB as simple as opening it up and sticking an extra 1GB in? Or do I have to take the existing memory out and put in one stick of 2GB of RAM?

Thanks, Dave.

EDIT: Sorry, scratch that. Just saw the link above to the Apple website which answers all my questions. I have got this bookmarked now. Thank you very much.
QUOTE Thanks
brrmac

brrmac is on a distinguished road

I am considering purchasing a MacBook for my daughter who will be attending university this fall. If I end up with a refurb that needs more memory, I just want to be sure I understand the memory upgrade process.

I looked at the instructions to install memory, it says for the best performance that 2 sticks of equal size should be used. Does this mean for a machine that has 1GB that there will be 2 512M sticks from the factory? So, in order to upgrade to 2GB, the 512M sticks would be throw away?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Right. You'll need 2 1GB sticks for 2GB.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Amen-Moses

Location: The home of the free and the land that did for Braveheart.
Amen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really niceAmen-Moses is just really nice
Mac Specs: 24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrmac View Post
I am considering purchasing a MacBook for my daughter who will be attending university this fall. If I end up with a refurb that needs more memory, I just want to be sure I understand the memory upgrade process.

I looked at the instructions to install memory, it says for the best performance that 2 sticks of equal size should be used. Does this mean for a machine that has 1GB that there will be 2 512M sticks from the factory? So, in order to upgrade to 2GB, the 512M sticks would be throw away?
They wouldn't exactly be "throw away". The same RAM is used in virtually all laptops nowadays so if you or another family member has a laptop you can use the RAM in it.

Amen-Moses
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New iBook - 39Gigs full - of 40gigs! WTF?? | External Monitor noise »