New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - So I went to clean my screen...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

plusfortyfour

plusfortyfour is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD

I had read that it was alright to clean Macbooks with water and a micro fibre cloth so thats what I did on the screen. I think I misread, because there are like, marks or something on the screen. Is it where the water dried? I better go find some glasses cleaner or something.
QUOTE Thanks
rotary

rotary is an unknown at this point

I just use warm water and a cloth, making sure almost all the water has been rung out. It's fine to do as long as you're gentle.
QUOTE Thanks
plusfortyfour

plusfortyfour is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD

Will the marks eventually go away?
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

I treat my Macbook screen like I do my glasses: clean with the same cloths and 'glasses wipes' that you can get for optical products. Takes streaks and spots right out.
QUOTE Thanks
Chimpur

Chimpur is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: See Signature

What water did you use? Sometimes theres um.. "stuff" in your water.. little particles of calcium lean and other "stuff", especisially in warm or hot water! Try this, the same water you used get a clear glass and fill it with this water... can you see things floating aound? is it cloudy?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I've been using Ammonia-free Spic&Span Cinch glass cleaner on all of my notebook LCDs with great results. It dissolves the greasy fingerprints that tend to accumulate on screens and I've never had any problems with it effecting the functionality or appearance of the display (other than a clean screen, obviously).

But officially, they like you to just use a plain damp cloth. Unfortunately, that doesn't always do the job.
QUOTE Thanks
alanb

alanb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2GHz CoreDuo MacBook | Blue iPod Mini

I also use optical cleaning products that I use for my glasses, including cleaning cloths for cleaning my screen.

What do people recommend for cleaning the white area around the mousepad, as mine is a bit dirty?
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

Where did you buy the MF towel. Some places sell these towels but they are full of parafin wax. You need to wash the rag a few times if this is the case. Just use some shampoo and wash it by hand. Then hold it under a hot tap and ring it out a bunch of times.
I have $17 towels and someties they do they same. Its all the water that they hold. In my case I just exhale hot air onto the screen and take it from there with the rag.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanb View Post
I also use optical cleaning products that I use for my glasses, including cleaning cloths for cleaning my screen.

What do people recommend for cleaning the white area around the mousepad, as mine is a bit dirty?
Same optical cleaning wipes that I use for the screen. "Anti static anti streaking lens wipes" from our local costco type place seem to work well for getting the discoloration out from the area adjacent to the trackpad.

Or medical alcohol wipes that I find in our company first aid kit. Don't use those on the screen though, those leave a residue!
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

do these marks coincide with the location of the keys on your keypad? i know there was an issue with my powerbook where the screen actually touched the keys and over time left marks that were difficult, but not impossible, to remove....just takes some TLC with that clean cloth and water
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks
UserofMacOSX

UserofMacOSX has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iBook G4, 1.5GB RAM, 1.42Ghz, 14"

Marks on the actual computer can be taken away with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser, I just use Windex on my iBook screen, works fine for me.

No iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
JBarbier

JBarbier is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0 CD/2gb/120gb. iMac G5 1.8/2gb/120gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserofMacOSX View Post
Marks on the actual computer can be taken away with a Mr Clean Magic Eraser, I just use Windex on my iBook screen, works fine for me.
Hope that Windex was ammonia-free!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Weird Superdrive Problems | Tangerine G3 ibook CDROM »