Crazy Macbook problem!
    I've had my Macbook (1st gen - not C2D) for some time now, and think its a wonderful machine. Alas, a problem as arisen. I left my Macbook in "sleep" mode until the battery ran out, and since then, the battery has been purely symbolic in nature. It either won't hold or a change or perhaps it simply isn't supplying power, but either way, the only way i can use my Macbook now is when it's plugged into a wall. When I try charging, the light stays a solid green as if the battery were fully charged. Yet, it won't power up unless plugged in, and once powered on, the moment I unplug it, the power cuts out instantly! Yet, leaving it charging for hours doesn't work, and all the while, the green light stays on, telling me that the battery believes itself to be fully charged. Is there a reset I can hit or some kind of special code I can type?

well that's odd. it's supposed to be designed to do this (sleep until the battery is near gone).

did you have all your firmware updates done?

have you tried removing and replacing the battery?
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Good suggestions from Eric. One other, does the Macbook battery have that button on it you press that lights up a string of LED lights like the iBooks? If so, what happens when you press that. Do all the LED's light? If so the battery is charged.

if the battery does not show charged by trying what dtravis suggests, you could also check this article regarding resetting the power management system:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I tried resetting the pwr management system and nothing has changed. The LED indicator at the bottom of the machine does nothing when pressed (interestingly, when I first bought my Macbook, I had to return the battery because it worked fine but did not show indications on the LED - could my Macbook be a battery killer?). I noticed that when powered-on, plugged into a wall, the on-screen battery icon has an X in its center. Does this mean that the Macbook isn't even detecting the battery?

Specs:
    20" iMac 2.16 ghz. 1 gb ram. 250 GB HDD. Screamer! 2gb ipod nano. 17 in powerbook G4 1.67/1 Gb/120gb
    Wow dont let this problem evolve into a bigger one. Take it into apple quickly. It is very intresting your first battery had to be replaced also.
    MacMania55

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    Agreed with MacMania55. Take that Macbook to Apple ASAP. The battery is not getting a charge or is dead.

Thread Information