New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - Constant hard drive activity, please stop!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Yoodooright

Yoodooright is on a distinguished road

Powerbook Titanium 667mhz
Mac 0S 10.4

A really annoying problem's crept into my powerbook, the hard drive has started to sound like it's constantly working at something even when no apps are running. This is continuous from start-up to shut down.

The issue began when i tried to remove 4 or 5 software apps out of the 'Classic OS 9 Apps' folder to free up space, apps that i no longer use. I copied each app folder onto an external hard-drive (in case i needed them in the future) and deleted the original app folders from my powerbook hard-drive. Then the noise started! I figuered the machine must be constantly searching for something that's not there anymore and quickly figuered removing these apps was worth more hassle than the 500mb space it free'd up so i copied them all back. The noise now remains!

What is my hard-drive doing and how do i stop it's torturous whirring and creaking??

Thanks

YDR,
QUOTE Thanks
akd0315

akd0315 is on a distinguished road

Mine does the same thing. It just randomly started doing it however. If you find out anything, post back please!
QUOTE Thanks
rcltrh

rcltrh will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB

Get mainmenu.app (a free program) and run all the maintenance and rebuilding tasks. Sounds like maybe one of the database indexes still may have references to those apps and it's trying to locate them. While youre at it, just go down the list and run all its utilities to clean everything back up and clear the gunk. If you have a photo on your login screen, you'll have to reset it after running the cache clearing utility, but it is worth doing every few months.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« TV Tuner | Macbook specific reinstall CDs? »