New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - problems after HD replacement

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tospasto

tospasto is on a distinguished road

I just took my iBook (G4, 12", 1GHz) to get a new internal hard drive installed at repair shop where they seemed confident that they new what they were doing. And now that I have it back its not working very well

1. Doesnt start up most of the time I press the power button, but eventually I can get it on using patience, or sometimes by smacking it... Also has powered down of its own accord a few times.

2. USB ports dont seem to work although they do have power

3. Airport Extreme does show up in any of the network preferences

and probably some other things I havent encountered yet.

Any ideas whats going on? Have some idiots just made a complete mess of the most expensive thing I own? What can be done?
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tospasto View Post
I just took my iBook (G4, 12", 1GHz) to get a new internal hard drive installed at repair shop where they seemed confident that they new what they were doing. And now that I have it back its not working very well

1. Doesnt start up most of the time I press the power button, but eventually I can get it on using patience, or sometimes by smacking it... Also has powered down of its own accord a few times.

2. USB ports dont seem to work although they do have power

3. Airport Extreme does show up in any of the network preferences

and probably some other things I havent encountered yet.

Any ideas whats going on? Have some idiots just made a complete mess of the most expensive thing I own? What can be done?
take it back to the repair shop and tell them to fix what they messed up.. they must have some type of warranty? If they tell you to pound sand tell the you want a refund.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
norcalnewbie

norcalnewbie is on a distinguished road

Damm I'll be damm if a shop did some work for me and it didn't work. Bring that you mac back and tell them to fix or get a refund. If they don't give your a refund report them to the BBB. What is the name of the shop so we all don't make the mistake of taking our precious mac's to that shop.
QUOTE Thanks
gtalum

gtalum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 8GB iPhone 3G / PowerMac G4 Dual 450 MHz 80GB 256MB / 30GB 5G iPod Black

If you paid for the repair with a credit card, tell them you're going to dispute teh charge if they don't fix it. Then you hold the cards.
QUOTE Thanks
tospasto

tospasto is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the responses. In case anyone is wondering heres an update:

I took it back to the shop and had a bit of a shout at them and got my service charge back with out much fuss, they insisted they could fix it but I wasnt so keen to let them at it again given my suspicions that it was their fault. I made the journey to an Apple Store to meet a 'genius' who said most likely its a logic board problem (as I feared) but he couldnt say for certain. Logic board replacement is £500 (new MacBook = £750). So I took it back to the original shop, told them what he said, and they said they can fix it still. So although i don't really believe them, I'll let them try for a bit before I give up on it.

I can't really expect them to pay anything beyond the refund for the damage given that there is no evidence besides my word that these problems didnt already exist, but I might try anyway.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ahhh, the noise.. help! | Macbook free sites? »