New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Existing Problems with out going macbook

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mantic

mantic is on a distinguished road

I've read alot of reviews and looked through all the vidoes on youtube caputuring the problems of some macbooks. With hundreds of reviews it's hard to tell sometimes what's up to date and what's not.

So what i'm looking for here and hope you guys can help me out with is:

1.) What problems have been address and fixed
2.) What problems are still there and if there are any new problems with the current macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
Reel1

Reel1 is a jewel in the roughReel1 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

You may not to read this but you asked for current information. As you indicated with hundreds of reviews its hard to tell what is current, so I will give you a bit of information on my MacBook.

To begin I had read about may of the problems that people experienced. However I spoke with several people here that had experienced no problems at all.

So I took the leap and purchased the following machine.

MacBook 1.83 Gz Core 2 Duo 2Gb ram.

Problems that have been fixed, or are still there? I have had none machine has worked perfectly.
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

I have yet to have a problem with my mac. 2 weeks old.
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Which problems have you watched videos of? There are a three that I can vouch for:

* discolouration of keyboard: fixed - new keyboards on all machines since last August
* random shut down: fixed - both new hardware and firmware update last September
* overheating: fixed - new firmware to control fans better

Are there any others? I was an early adopter and got a macbook that literally suffered ALL the reported problems. After a couple of months Apple replaced the machine and the new one has been spot on. I haven't had a single problem with it that's not been my own fault
QUOTE Thanks
brianj08

brianj08 will become famous soon enough

no problems here. ive had my macbook since the middle of september and it runs the same as it was when taken out of the box... the 2 gigs of ram has made everything less taxing on the machines resources also by the way.

white Macbook 1.83 GHz Core Duo/ 2 GB ram/ 60 GB HDD/ Wireless bluetooth mouse/ JBL Speakers
QUOTE Thanks
mantic

mantic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazabam View Post
Which problems have you watched videos of? There are a three that I can vouch for:

* discolouration of keyboard: fixed - new keyboards on all machines since last August
* random shut down: fixed - both new hardware and firmware update last September
* overheating: fixed - new firmware to control fans better

Are there any others? I was an early adopter and got a macbook that literally suffered ALL the reported problems. After a couple of months Apple replaced the machine and the new one has been spot on. I haven't had a single problem with it that's not been my own fault

Those were the main issues I was concerned with. Thanks for the info. I might end up going with a Pro as in this day and age I just can't justify spending all that money on a computer the uses integrated graphics. But we'll see.

If I do go with a MB I'll probly go for the black. I like the looks of it better and it's only $50 more.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

white macbook purchased in, uh... was it october?

core duo 2.0Ghz
1Gb memory
80Gb HD
superdrive

no problems at all other than the occasional windows habit i had to break.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
plusfortyfour

plusfortyfour is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz/1GB RAM/250 GB HDD

I haven't had any problems with mine and I have had it since Christmas.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Used Ibook 1.2 GHz for $479 worthwhile? | Dust inside screen »