New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - What's up with the weak signal strength?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jimday1982

jimday1982 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2Ghz Macbook

I just purchased a macbook yesterday and every now and then I get good signal strength, but lately, I only get one bar, if that and the internet slows to an absolute CRAWL. I have a desktop PC as well that ALWAYS maintains a 100% signal strength and pages load lightning fast on it, so obviously it's an issue with my macbook. What I don't get is that I'm sitting RIGHT next to my wireless router and I only have two bars...

A quick search on apple.com didn't seem to reveal much in terms of a solution or diagnostics...

Anyone have any clues??
QUOTE Thanks
Jeff

Jeff is a jewel in the roughJeff is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube

First of all, sometimes you can be too close to your router with wireless. But other than that, you should see if your router and your Macbook both have the newest firmware available. Other than that, I don't know what to say.

Black MacBook
Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
B&W G3
G4's - PowerMac & Cube
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

There was an update earlier today.
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

The latest wifi update killed my connection- visit macfixit.com for a workaround.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Yeah, not sure here either. I just got my Macbook last week and with my linksys router (configured as a WAP) and the most recent Airport update with it sitting about 2 feet from it I get full bar signal. My wife's Blackbook doesn't have a problem anywhere in the apartment (though I haven't checked the signal strength, mostly because I haven't had to.)

One thing I've noticed about the Macbook is that it detects many more wireless networks than my employer supplied Dell even if they are secured. Perhaps there is something wrong that you should take it to the Apple store to have them fix.
QUOTE Thanks
jimday1982

jimday1982 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2Ghz Macbook

What's really strange is that I can connect to my neighbor's unencrypted networks without an issue and the signal is nearly 100%. As soon as I switch to my network, the signal drops to nothing and I'm stuck in the mud.

I have all the latest updates and even updated my router's firmware last night, all to no avail.

I guess I'll try to call tech support tonight but I'm already counting on them not being much help since I use a linksys router. We shall see...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP Superdrive making weird noise | psychedelic screen failiure »