Overheating in incase sleeve?
    Hi. I have a Mac Book and when i close the lid it goes into sleep right? Well i did that and put it in the incase sleeve and when i go to get it out it's all hot and wouldn't turn on. I left it out for a few mins and the fans turned off...so i tried to power on again and it did. when it powered on it said osx shut down unexpectedly. Did it overheat and turned itself off? Was it really in sleep? Will it overheat while it's in sleep inside of my incase sleeve?

Specs:
    Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
    Usually when you shut it, it goes to sleep. No questions asked. Where I have heard problems is when people are shutting down or restarting and shut the lid before it is done. Then it sleeps in the middle of the operation and heats up. I've never heard of it not going to sleep though.
    Black MacBook
    Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic
    B&W G3
    G4's - PowerMac & Cube

Specs:
    White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
    I have noticed that when I shut the lid on my powerbook G4 12 inch and then when I unplug my USB wireless mouse the computer will wake up even though it is closed. Is it possible that you closed the lid, unplugged a USB device which turned it back on as you put your laptop into it's case?
    White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 iMac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD|Combo Drive http://jonnyfive.tumblr.com/

Specs:
    13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Where I have heard problems is when people are shutting down or restarting and shut the lid before it is done. Then it sleeps in the middle of the operation and heats up.
    Agreed. If you close your lid mid-shutdown, the shutdown is interrupted and the macbook goes into a somewhat dysfunctional sleep. I suppose that something is still going to create heat, although I'm not sure because I always wait until the screen goes black

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyfive View Post
    I have noticed that when I shut the lid on my powerbook G4 12 inch and then when I unplug my USB wireless mouse the computer will wake up even though it is closed. Is it possible that you closed the lid, unplugged a USB device which turned it back on as you put your laptop into it's case?
    Doesn't that stink? The whole "wake on usb" interaction is supposed to benifit someone wishing to use their powerbook/macbook in clamshell mode. Too bad it always "wakes on unplugging usb". One of my only complaints,

I guess that we just have to remember to unplug everything first, just like one can't really just unplug a thumb drive without OS X yelling at you.

Removing my thumbdrive:

OSX- "RARRAR DATA LOSS !"
    WinXP - " ::musical:: ba doom!"

ive had this exact same thing happen to me. i closed my macbook and i dont remember if i tried to power it off or restart it but i closed the lid then threw it in my incase sleeve.

i reach for it when i get to my point of destination and the sleeve feels extremely warm, including the computer itself when i took it out. i open it up and the battery was drained down to 25 percent after only a 45 mnute drive.
    white Macbook 1.83 GHz Core Duo/ 2 GB ram/ 60 GB HDD/ Wireless bluetooth mouse/ JBL Speakers

Specs:
    Macbook Pro Retina
    Same here... I shut the lid to sleep it and it didnt go and I didnt notice. It got really really hot and wen I pulled out it smelled really bad (kinda like car coolant when its getting hot (its a weird sweet smell)). I was kind mad because when I turned it on it was slow as heck, so I shut her down and then just left it alone for a bit. I came back and started it up and problems solved... I hate overheating.
    -Mike

So guess it's better that i shut down all the time? Instead of it just sleeping? or should i do a sleep from the menu instead of shutting the lid? It's really inconvenient to shut down all the time.

Specs:
    White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD
    Unplug USB devices first then just close the lid, make sure that you see the breathing LED light and then pop it in the sleeve and you shouldn't have any problems.
    White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 iMac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD|Combo Drive http://jonnyfive.tumblr.com/

Thread Information