New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - RAM upgrade for MBP - help??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nickeleye

nickeleye is on a distinguished road

So I got my new 15" MBP about two weeks ago. I got the stripped down version with only 1 gig of RAM because I knew I could add in 3rd party RAM for less money. I purchased Parallels along with the system and have it installed and definitely see where 2 gigs of RAM will come in handy. I notice the MBP is capable of up to 3 gigs though. So here are my questions:

1. Whether or not I do 2 or 3 gigs, does it matter if I mix memory brands? Is it okay to mix the 1 gig of the "apple" RAM with some other brand? I know in PCs you may avoid problems if you make sure all of your RAM is the same.

2. Since the system can take 3 gigs, is it possible to buy a 2gb stick of RAM to add to the 1gb? Or do you have to go with two 2gb sticks and have the computer only work with 3 of 4gb?
QUOTE Thanks
Evermore

Evermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive

For the answer to number two: you would have a 1gb stick and a 2gb stick...i guess you could buy 2x2gb sticks but that would be an awful waste or money. And for number one i beleive it is better to have all the same type of memory but you can mix.

Evasive-Media Group
[ MBP ] 15.4" - 2.16ghz C2D - 2gb RAM - 120gb HD [ MBP ]
Evermore
QUOTE Thanks
egandolfi

egandolfi will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD

The brand is irrelevent. However you need to make sure the specs are all the same. You could leave the 1GB in and purchase a 2GB for crucial, Kingston, PNY, etc. You just need to make sure its pc2-5300 200pin 667Mhz DDR2 SODIMM.
QUOTE Thanks
nickeleye

Does it negatively affect performance at all having one 2gb stick and a 1gb stick? Are there different latencies between the two sizes? Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I really want to up my RAM asap and also do it without getting ripped off.
QUOTE Thanks
nickeleye

Well, I picked up a stick of this. Hope it works out alright.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146126
QUOTE Thanks
egandolfi

egandolfi will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD

It will work fine. The memory needs to be all the same speed, form factor, technology, etc. There would be no additional latency if you went with the 2GB instead of the 1GB you purchased. Its all the same speed utilizing the same memory bus.

Enjoy! I know I LOve my MBP!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
timeslip

timeslip is on a distinguished road

Anyone know why/if the 2GB SODIMM's are going to drop in price? Such a big difference between two 1GB SODIMM's.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Noob being a moron | CD/DVD playback choppy in windows »