New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Black Macbook Cleaning

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

egandolfi

egandolfi will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro-2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo-3GB RAM-120GB HDD

I am looking for something to clean my Black Macbook. I have read some posts, but I have not read anything that said "I have a Black macbbok and I use (insert product here) to clean the case and track pad". Are there any Black macBook users out there that can suggest something that works well on the case and track pad?

I read some things on iKlear and they said that they lighten up the black MacBook. I just don't want to get something and find out the hard way that it will ruin the finish.

Thanks in advance for all your advice!
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandolfi View Post
I am looking for something to clean my Black Macbook. I have read some posts, but I have not read anything that said "I have a Black macbbok and I use (insert product here) to clean the case and track pad". Are there any Black macBook users out there that can suggest something that works well on the case and track pad?

I read some things on iKlear and they said that they lighten up the black MacBook. I just don't want to get something and find out the hard way that it will ruin the finish.

Thanks in advance for all your advice!

here is a good read on the subject

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=227950

my suggestion? a SMALL amount of dove soap and water.. whatever you choose make sure it has NO chemicals in it.. I would use the type of cloth you would use to clean a pair of glasses.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
ChadTTU

ChadTTU is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

I'd like to know this as well. It looks like most of those posts where for the white macbook
QUOTE Thanks
egandolfi

It was stressing me out so I returned the MacBook and got a MacBook Pro! No more Black!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by egandolfi View Post
It was stressing me out so I returned the MacBook and got a MacBook Pro! No more Black!!!
That's the oddest reason I've ever heard for buying an MBP over a MBB. On the other hand, the MBP is sweet
QUOTE Thanks
TechieMaiden

TechieMaiden is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Black

I too am very curious. This isnt the reason I went black, but I am very glad I did given the discoloration problems the white ones seems to be having. My cleaning issue is not necessarily immediate, but I am worried about the long term effects the oils will have on the housing and trackpad...
QUOTE Thanks
egandolfi

Ok, it wasn't the ONLY reason. It really was the straw that broke the camels back. i really wanted the dedicated video and the firewire 800. The cleaning issue did bother me but I could have lived with it. However this Pro is SWEET! I am glad I made that I made the switch.

I figure I am going to have this thing for a while so I better be satified with what I get. I am VERY satisfied now!!!
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieMaiden View Post
This isnt the reason I went black, but I am very glad I did given the discoloration problems the white ones seems to be having.
The white macbook discolouration issues were fixed last August. Mine has the new keyboard on and it's the same as when I bought it, or close enough that I genuinely can't tell the difference
QUOTE Thanks
TechieMaiden

TechieMaiden is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 13" MacBook Black

i took the plunge and tried gentle hand soap.. orange dial. i wet a papertowel and rung it out (with the soap) til it was damp. i cleaned the lid, keyboard, trackpad, and wrist rests.. success! be sure to follow with a dry papertowel. the oil and smudge marks are all gone! its been a couple days since the treatment and i see no negative results!
QUOTE Thanks
CodeSamurai

CodeSamurai has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro - 15.4" 1680x1050 Antiglare - 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB RAM - 750GB 7200RPM HDD

My buddy uses clorox wipes to clean his. Sounds dangerous I know, but it seems to work well. Plus you get the disinfecting bonus. He's never had any weird discoloration or anything. Just something to keep in mind. Also, for the screen, don't even worry about buying screen wipes or anything. I've had worse luck with them. Just find a soft cloth and dampen it slightly, run it back and forth on the screen and then dry it off. Works like a charm.

Trent out

CodeSamurai | Facebook
Twitter >> Flickr
15.4" 2.7Ghz Quad Core i7 Macbook Pro w/ High-res antiglare screen and Nvidia 650m GT w/ 1GB VRAM
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

I am obsessed with cleaning my MacBook Black - I just love it looking all clean and Matt. It's the grease from your hands that shows like anything, really ugly...

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Mactime

Mactime is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo

go to walmart then head to the car section there get ur self a pack or MICROFIBER towel(or cloth) those are very soft i use them on my car and white macbook. They will not scratch your finish.
To clean you need some water and some soap if ur mac is too greasy.

dampen one end and wipe ur mac then with the dry end take of the extra moisture thats on ur mac..............result clean as new.
Those microfiber towels are even softer than the ones u use to clean ur glases should cost u 4-$6 for a pack of 3

hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Moving up from iBook G3, what path? | is there harm »