New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Buying my first mac... how much RAM do I need?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

reallycheep

reallycheep has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Actually, I'm buying a Macbook for my wife, because she got a new teaching position and her old Dell laptop is pretty outdated. I'm going for the 2.0GHz model, but since I have NO experience with OSX I'm having trouble guesstimating memory needs. She'll probably want to run, simultaneously, PowerPoint (or maybe Keynote), Word (or perhaps Pages), an e-mail client, and a web browser. Maybe CrossOver occasionally to run Picasa2. Probably not going to mess with Parallels.

For me, with XP, 1GB is the bare minimum, and 2GB is preferable because I like things to, as they say, "pop", however as I said before I have never used OSX so I don't know if memory requirements are similar between the OSes. Should I pony up the extra $160 for the 2GB upgrade? Or will the standard 1GB provide a smooth experience for her? Thanks for any advice!
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

I like to think 1GB as the bare minimum to run OS X. It will run on 512 fine, but the benefits of more RAM are very nice. She would probably be fine with the 1GB, but it will be noticbly faster with 2GB of RAM. I noticed a huge difference when I upgraded my RAM from 512MB to 1.5GB.

So if you can afford it, get the 2GBs.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
mr g5

mr g5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM

1gb should be fine. but you seem like the type who likes very high performance so maybe you should go for 2gb.

OSX uses around 500MB for itself.

Join the Mac-forums folding team By Clicking Here
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

If she is intending to use the above mentioned apps. 1GB would be enough. However she may experience a small lag with ppt, since MS Office is not yet a Universal Binary (Native Intel Mac). 1GB should be fine.

If you find 1GB not good enough, you can always look for a good offer from a cheaper online store and add it at a later stage.
QUOTE Thanks
Evermore

Evermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive

I would just go with the 2gb of ram cuase then you have it for the future...dude also don't forget she is a TEACHER...you can get the educational dicount and save alot..not only on the price of the comp but also the upgrades cost less. if you aren't already doing this.

Evasive-Media Group
[ MBP ] 15.4" - 2.16ghz C2D - 2gb RAM - 120gb HD [ MBP ]
Evermore
QUOTE Thanks
gollum

gollum is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Core2 Duo 2GHZ, G4 PowerBook 1GHZ

I checked the Apple's educational website and to add 1gb it is $157 for students. I'm in that dilemma right now of adding 1 gb to my new MacBook, I have to buy a pair of 1 gb sticks to get up to 2 gb's and then be stuck with 2 sticks of 512 which aren't worth alot on ebay.
Point being if you can possibly afford it, by it with 2gb's, $157 is not bad at all, highly recommended!!! OSX is a RAM pig!
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

I would also recommend 1gb for bare minimum. I still only have 512mb in my MBP right now and it's killing me inside, I wish I had the money to get 1gb or if I find a decent deal I might just go ahead and get 2gb.
QUOTE Thanks
tei727

tei727 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0 ghz white

get as much as you can afford.
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

1GB minimum, if you can afford it get 2GB.
QUOTE Thanks
reallycheep

reallycheep has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thanks for all the helpful replies. We ended up getting the 2GB. The best part is never having to wonder, "How much better would this thing work if I had got more RAM?"

Now I'm looking for a KVM that works as well as my wife's Macbook, since she'd like to use her (very nice) USB keyboard and mouse and monitor with her Macbook while at home working on the desk occupied by her PC.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook and LCD TV? | Problem with unplugging »