New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Macbook bringing you to the edge? Read.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mousouchop

mousouchop will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0GHz C2D 1GBRAM 120GBHDD Red Apple Logo. :)

Do you feel like with one foul slip of the wrist you could be lying in a pool of blood in front of your macbook and its edges that could be used as a fillet knife?

After having my new macbook for a week, my wrists have become progressively sore and more and more easily irritated by my book's edges with each use. Well, after enough frustration, discomfort and wearing wrist bands today, I came up with a solution...

WHY NOT cover the edges where my wrists rest, with something?
-Blanket, no-- too obtrusive.
-Some gel rest from a desktop mousepad? No-- how would that work?

Finally it hit me and this is the result:

BLACK ELECTRICAL TAPE! How awesome!

Not only does it cover the edges, but because of the composition of the tape, it is a bit cushion-y and has a nice feel on the wrists. And nicely enough the tape doesn't really draw much attention at all, being that it is semi-matte and under your wrists.

The tape still allows the laptop to close properly and I can't see any detriment that it could cause to the computer. Aside from being a quick mod, it is also cheap (DUH!) XD and can be undone/redone as often as you'd like-- for those of us too proud to show the world that our lovely macbooks indeed have a fundamental flaw.

I did this with hast, so the cuts in the tape to allow the sleep lite and IR sensor to stay exposed in a little sloppy, but I can fix that when I decide to change up the tape.

Just thought I would share this for those of you suffering like me. ENJOY!
QUOTE Thanks
kilo15

kilo15 will become famous soon enough

Maybe its because I have small hands but the edges don't bother me.
QUOTE Thanks
slashjunior

slashjunior is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, 80GB Video iPod (Black)

It used to bother me, but now its great. I feel it is good practice to lift your hands when typing rather than resting them on the keyboard. Sometimes if I get really tired or lazy I remind myself just how bad the edges can be.
QUOTE Thanks
macbookdabest

macbookdabest has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!

i think the sharp edges feel good
and i am glad i did not get the black macbook
it looks like it captures every little drop of liquid that touches it
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

Maybe I have particularly large hands, but the bottom of my palms touch the edge of the machine if they touch at all. I have been typing for more years than I care to remember, though, so generally the only parts of me touching the machine are my fingertips and sometimes the side of my hand near my little finger. A good typing posture is always preferable because it will save your wrists much more than temporary hacks.

That being said, there was some guy on the Apple forums who claimed to have managed to draw blood. I do have to wonder what lousy typing posture he was in to apply that much downward pressure on his wrists. I have seen people typing in a reclined position with the machine on their chests and twisting their neck and wrists up to see it. I can only imagine it was something like that.
QUOTE Thanks
mousouchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashjunior View Post
It used to bother me, but now its great. I feel it is good practice to lift your hands when typing rather than resting them on the keyboard. Sometimes if I get really tired or lazy I remind myself just how bad the edges can be.
Yeah, I try to type like that, but unfortunately the set up that I have in my room kinda doesn't allow me to type any other way than having my wrists smashing into that edge. Lol. It's pretty sweet. XD
QUOTE Thanks
mousouchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazabam View Post
Maybe I have particularly large hands, but the bottom of my palms touch the edge of the machine if they touch at all. I have been typing for more years than I care to remember, though, so generally the only parts of me touching the machine are my fingertips and sometimes the side of my hand near my little finger. A good typing posture is always preferable because it will save your wrists much more than temporary hacks.

That being said, there was some guy on the Apple forums who claimed to have managed to draw blood. I do have to wonder what lousy typing posture he was in to apply that much downward pressure on his wrists. I have seen people typing in a reclined position with the machine on their chests and twisting their neck and wrists up to see it. I can only imagine it was something like that.
x.x That sounds a little extreme. Lol. My intro was more of a joke. Haha... I wasn't suggesting that the corner actually could draw blood. ****-- they should really re-evaluate their typing posture. XD

And yeah, I know it will save my wrists, It's better to type properly and avoid medical problems down the road... But even so, this hack makes me comfortable using my mac no matter how I am using it.
QUOTE Thanks
bsdunek

bsdunek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 13.3, 1gig ram, 80gig hd & iMac 800mhz, 1gig ram, 60gig hd

I have on of those polycarbonate covers on mine and have no problem. Just wondering if some #400 sandpaper used wet wouldn't be a good solution. Nothing to come off, and would just smooth the edge. Just a thought.

Bruce
Love my Macs!
QUOTE Thanks
mousouchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdunek View Post
I have on of those polycarbonate covers on mine and have no problem. Just wondering if some #400 sandpaper used wet wouldn't be a good solution. Nothing to come off, and would just smooth the edge. Just a thought.
You could try it. I can't see it doing any damage to how the system runs. I just didn't want to permanently degrade the integrity of my casing. I prefer the tape. XD It's really comfortable.

What polycarbonate covers do you speak of btw. Do you mean the Malware palm rest covers? Cause I don't think those cover the front edge....
QUOTE Thanks
TheCustomer99

TheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of lightTheCustomer99 is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video

I don't know what the sharp edge complaint is all about. I guess I type correctly or something because my wrists never come close to the edges anyway.

"Anecdotal thinking comes naturally, science requires training." - Michael Shermer
QUOTE Thanks
kevin_msu

kevin_msu has a spectacular aura about

that looks hideous.

mine were sharp as well.. i simply got a sander thing at home depot, fine grain, and went over it a little bit. nice and smooth now.

MacBook owner since 7/15/06
13inch White, 2.0 ghz Intel
My first Mac was a Powerbook 165c :mac:

Visit my .Mac page!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

i don't really mind the edge. for a while i was just using a normal keyboard wrist pad thingy pushed up to the front of the macbook. now mostly i don't use it.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

one word, BLAH

sure its a solution for the black ones, but what about the majority with the white MB? me personally, i would never put electrical tape anywhere visible on a computer. But then again, my old macbook, and now my mbp, have not bothered me one bit edge-wise.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How much battery does turning your screen down save? | replacing macbook HD with one i found at best buy. little help please! »