Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1


    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2007
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    6
    Specs:
    MacBook 2.0ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD
    Transporting in my backpack. damaging?
    Hi all

    Just bought my first MacBook. I want to know if I could possibly cause any damage by transporting it in my backpack while riding my bike.

    I have the Tucano second skin for holding it and will be putting it in my backpack. Thing is, I travel between 15 to 40 miles (depending on the weather) to work and am worried that with the shaking due to the roads might cause damage, mainly to the HDD I guess.

    Anyone have any advice on that?

    Thanks

    Dene

  2. #2

    cazabam's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 06, 2006
    Posts
    1,153
    Specs:
    MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
    You'll not have to worry too much about the hard drive - it automatically parks in several situations: you turn it off, you put it to sleep (close the lid) or if it detects that it's being shaken or dropped. You may have heard about the movement sensor; that's one thing it's used for.

    The best thing to do is get a proper laptop rucksack. I have a nice one that has air pockets and a stiffened enclosure to make sure my laptop doesn't get bounced around or hit by other things.

  3. #3

    Stretch's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 13, 2007
    Location
    Central New York
    Posts
    4,773
    Specs:
    15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
    Nope, it will be fine. I carried my iBook around for 2 years in a gel sleeve in my backpack with no problems.
    Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

    Currently running OS X 10.10

  4. #4


    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2007
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    6
    Specs:
    MacBook 2.0ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD
    Thanks guys, i'll give it a try on Monday. I might look into getting a dedicated backpack though just in case.

    Thanks again

    Dene

  5. #5

    Computer.Geek's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 25, 2004
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    201
    Specs:
    13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD
    i use a northface backpack with no problems for the last year....
    There has been no problem for me as I think my ibook is pretty durable. I'm not exactly gentle with my backpack either and "kinda" throw it around at times. The hard drives are designed to take "some" lumps and I can't imagine u having any problems as long as you don't drop your bag or run around with it on.

  6. #6

    gblader's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 04, 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    71
    Specs:
    MacBook 2.0 ghz 1.25 RAM 60 GB
    Quote Originally Posted by Deno View Post
    Hi all

    Just bought my first MacBook. I want to know if I could possibly cause any damage by transporting it in my backpack while riding my bike.

    I have the Tucano second skin for holding it and will be putting it in my backpack. Thing is, I travel between 15 to 40 miles (depending on the weather) to work and am worried that with the shaking due to the roads might cause damage, mainly to the HDD I guess.

    Anyone have any advice on that?

    Thanks

    Dene
    ... a little off topic . . .
    but . . .
    Holy cr*p! 15 - 40 miles? You must be the UK version of LArmstrong! I wish I could do that - but I sweat like a pig, and I might short circuit my macbook! What kind of bike you have? I've never been to Europe, but I guess you guys over there are so much more economical than us Muscle Car and SUV Fiends. . . . (i have a v8 mustangneye: )

  7. #7


    Member Since
    Jan 27, 2007
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    6
    Specs:
    MacBook 2.0ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by gblader View Post
    ... a little off topic . . .
    but . . .
    Holy cr*p! 15 - 40 miles? You must be the UK version of LArmstrong! I wish I could do that - but I sweat like a pig, and I might short circuit my macbook! What kind of bike you have? I've never been to Europe, but I guess you guys over there are so much more economical than us Muscle Car and SUV Fiends. . . . (i have a v8 mustangneye: )
    Haahaa, I only just read this. Well, funnily enough, you mentioning Lance, I got my bike via a very good friend of his who I do a website for. It's a Trek 5900 road bike which I will ride between 35-50 miles to work every morning (i'm too tired at the end of the day so it's a straight 15 miles home). Winter is a completely different story though with the cold dark mornings and I ride a Trek 6700 mountain bike. It's usually straight to work and back with no detours but I can tell you, if I had a V8 Mustang parked on the drive, i'd be VERY tempted to hop into that on a morning instead of the bike ;-)

    Dene

  8. #8

    DVaris223's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 14, 2006
    Location
    New York, New York
    Posts
    189
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro, iPhone
    I also have a Northface backpack and it fits it just fine. Although, there should be protection in the backpack. I use an Incase sleeve and stick it in the compartment that looks as if it's almost made for a laptop..it even has a strap that you can pull to make that compartment more secure!:p

  9. #9


    Member Since
    Nov 16, 2006
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    96
    Specs:
    MacBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
    Quote Originally Posted by Deno View Post
    Haahaa, I only just read this. Well, funnily enough, you mentioning Lance, I got my bike via a very good friend of his who I do a website for. It's a Trek 5900 road bike which I will ride between 35-50 miles to work every morning (i'm too tired at the end of the day so it's a straight 15 miles home). Winter is a completely different story though with the cold dark mornings and I ride a Trek 6700 mountain bike. It's usually straight to work and back with no detours but I can tell you, if I had a V8 Mustang parked on the drive, i'd be VERY tempted to hop into that on a morning instead of the bike ;-)

    Dene
    Heh, if I didn't see that you lived in Leeds in your profile, I'd have thought it was you that I see every morning on the A57 riding towards the Peak District from Sheffield.

    Rain or shine this guy is on his bike(s) - Road Bike in the Summer, Mountain Bike in the Winter.

    Maximum dedication from both of you. Respect
    Cheers

    Josh (UK)
    Fairly Recent Switcher

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Transporting Discs in Macbook Superdrives
    By dhuffman in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-28-2011, 06:06 PM
  2. transporting macbook pro.
    By whitehorse84 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-06-2011, 02:09 PM
  3. when transporting your macbook..
    By whitehorse84 in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-14-2010, 05:28 PM
  4. Transporting iMac 27"
    By T_O_P12 in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 07:05 PM
  5. Transporting between PC and Mac.
    By AbbyBee in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 12:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •