New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Battery charge display issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

xtophercaa

xtophercaa has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 8GB iPhone, MacBook Pro (15",2.33 C2D), MacBook (2.0 C2D), 4 iPods (20GB, Mini, Nano, Shuffle)

The battery percentage indicator in my menu bar never rises above 96% anymore, even when it says it's fully charged and my AC adapter is attached. Anyone have any thoughts about this or experienced something similar? I've only noticed this in the past few days. It used to always indicate 99% when fully charged and connected to AC power.

Chris Ainsworth
Personal Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Once its above 95% or so, its all about the same. The way the chargers work, or at least how they did with the iBooks, was it charged to 99-100%, and then stopped charging until it was back to 95-96%. Once it was down to 95-96%, the charger would turn back on.

So as long as it says something above 95%, I wouldn't worry too much.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Stephan936

Stephan936 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP, 2.33GHz, 100GB@7200rpm

Neewbie question, where do you see that ?
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

If there isnt a battery icon in your menubar, open your system prefs, and in the Energy Saver tab, there should be an box to check for show Battery status in menubar.

I'm doing this from memory, so if someone with a laptop could check that to make sure its right.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Stephan936

I'll check it out once I get it to "unfreeze"...

Thanks,
Stephan
QUOTE Thanks
Stephan936

Yep, that's exactly where it is... mines at 99%

Regards,
Stephan
QUOTE Thanks
Ninjab3ar

Ninjab3ar has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600

have you tried recalibrating your battery?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I found on my iBook, PowerBook and my ThinkPad that the charger will not start charging until it is below about 94%. Unplug your system when it get to 94%, plug it in it will charge up to 99-100%. I believe this is normal.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

my c2d did something weird yesterday. i ran the battery down to about 10%,and plugged in the ac cord. the battery Xed. it would not recognize. i had to do the apple alt p r thing to get it back up.

should i be worried about this again?

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtophercaa View Post
The battery percentage indicator in my menu bar never rises above 96% anymore, even when it says it's fully charged and my AC adapter is attached. Anyone have any thoughts about this or experienced something similar? I've only noticed this in the past few days. It used to always indicate 99% when fully charged and connected to AC power.
"Calibrate the battery in your MacBook or MacBook Pro every month or two to keep your battery functioning at its fullest capacity."

"Calibrating a MacBook or MacBook Pro battery"

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...en/mh2339.html

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« headphones & volume | video output is scrambled looking. »