New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - headphones & volume

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Did some searching but didn't really find answer to this. And not really looking for specific headphone selections.

As those of you who have a MBP know, the speakers do not put out much volume. Have never really used headphones much. The only thing I found in the house was a set of maybe 20 yr old walkman headphones. They do not seem to have any more volume than the speakers on the MBP and maybe less.

What I am wanting to do is sit in the LR, and while my wife is watching TV, I can be playing a game on my MBP using headphones and have enough volume to hear what's going on above the TV (TV is at reasonble volume). Will the MBP put out enough volume with just a decent pair of HP's or will I need an external amp to help out with this?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

You will be fine with the headphones.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
MacGuy18

MacGuy18 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" iMac G5 2.0Ghz 1GB || MBP 2.0GhzCDuo 2GB || TV || iPhone || Airport Extreme

My roommate tends to watch a lot of tv very loudly. I use my ipod headphones and I think they work really well.
QUOTE Thanks
Stephan936

Stephan936 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP, 2.33GHz, 100GB@7200rpm

I'm using Sennheiser HD650, which are quite "hard to drive" and the MBP has a fairly high volume output, much better than my 1GB nano.

Volume is in 16 steps, and the first 10 are totally useless (at least with those headphones, haven't tried with others) I find enjoying myself better at 13-15 depending on the recording volume. 16 is quite loud: I see the phone light flashing, but I can't hear it ring...

Quality is very good for a device made to do something else, although I would like to have a little control on the <300Hz range. I guess there's programs out there to do that, or do I allready have one and not know it?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
You will be fine with the headphones.
right you are - got the "cheapo" bose headphones, not rock and roll volume but def' good enuff

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
???

??? is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.0Ghz

I use the Bang and Olufsens Form 2s with my MBP are they are great. I love them, I use the B&O A8s with my ipod and they are just as great.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan936 View Post
I'm using Sennheiser HD650, which are quite "hard to drive" and the MBP has a fairly high volume output, much better than my 1GB nano.

Thats a great set of phones. I use the HD280 Pro's when I am at my desk and a pair of Etymotic ER-6i's when I am working out or travelling. The iPod can't drive the HD280's as well as the Etymotics but my MacBook has no trouble at all with the HD280's. If i have the volume maxed out I can easily take off the headphones and hear everything loud and clear with them not even on my head

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« laptop a little warped? | Battery charge display issue »