New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - How do i keep my macbook from going into sleep mode when I close the lid?

Thread Closed

henryo11

henryo11 is on a distinguished road

Hey, I just got a new macbook today and am loving it, but was wondering where the option to keep my computer from going into sleep mode when I close the lid is?

Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

Nope. Can't safely be done, and there is no option in the system to stop it from doing it. One reason it does it, is becuase some of the heat escapes out the keyboard. Leave the computer running while the lid is closed, and you risk the chance of melting your LCD display.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
djames42

djames42 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP CD 1.83/2ghz/7200 100g + Mini 2ghz C2D 2gb + Mini 1.42ghz G4 + PM 7200/120 + Newton OMP

Not necessarily true. There's a kernel extension called InsomniaX that will prevent your laptop from going to sleep with the lid closed.

StretchR has a point however, your machine will run slightly warmer with the lid closed. You're probably okay to play music that way, but I wouldn't leave anything running that'll kick up the heat much.

You can also google for Macbook and Clamshell for information about running your machine with the lid closed while connected to an external monitor and keyboard/mouse. There's at least one thread on this forum about this...
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Don't let anyone fool you, the MacBook is made to run with the screen closed (with external monitor, keyboard and mouse). Also this question has been asked so many times in the last week so please search before posting.

--Cheers

Thread Closed

« overheating? | Keyboard lights now show through speaker grill? »