New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - mini dvi to hdmi?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Hi everyone I want to hook my MacBook up to a my HDTV which supports 720p, It has hdmi and component input. My component input is in use so i would like to make use of the HDMI input.

I cant seem to find a cable that connect from mini dvi to hdmi though.

Any thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks
Evermore

Evermore is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive

yeah, you will have to purchase a mini-dvi to dvi cable and then they sell dvi to hdmi convertors. that is the only way to do it. i have the same thing except i have a mbp so i just need to purchase the dvi to hdmi.

Evasive-Media Group
[ MBP ] 15.4" - 2.16ghz C2D - 2gb RAM - 120gb HD [ MBP ]
Evermore
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evermore View Post
yeah, you will have to purchase a mini-dvi to dvi cable and then they sell dvi to hdmi convertors. that is the only way to do it. i have the same thing except i have a mbp so i just need to purchase the dvi to hdmi.
ditto, only way.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

Thats what I was afraid of **** MacBook with its mini dvi port, One more reason I should have bought a MacBook Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
R1 Lod

R1 Lod is an unknown at this point

Its only $20 for the mini to DVI, its not that big of a deal. Then go to Wal-Mart and pick up the DVI to HDMI cable. Thats what I did for my MacBook & 47" 1080p TV. I couldn't be happier with it. It works perfectly together.
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1 Lod View Post
Its only $20 for the mini to DVI, its not that big of a deal. Then go to Wal-Mart and pick up the DVI to HDMI cable. Thats what I did for my MacBook & 47" 1080p TV. I couldn't be happier with it. It works perfectly together.
I will have to look into this.

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

walmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.

I suppose that the miniDVI port is kind of a nuisance. Are there any displays or other hardware that can use it natively? I don't really mind it too much since that adapter from miniDVI to DVI was only $18, but it would still be nice to find something that didn't require yet another thing sticking out of my macbook.
QUOTE Thanks
kdaniel

kdaniel is on a distinguished road

Does the MacBook DVI output support HDMI audio? That is, if I buy a mini-DVI to HDMI cable adapter (I see one on eBay for about $10) will my mac audio go through to the HDTV receiver via its HDMI input?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No, DVI does not carry audio, on your MB or anywhere else.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cannot fit hard drive inside after taking out - MacBook 10.4.11 | Macbook Died: Blank Screen, No Startup Sound, but White LED on »