New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Fans running all the time?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chrissbook

chrissbook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

hey all, just recently made the switch to apple and frankly im ecstatic .. im a bit paranoid as it was expensive so i dont want to break it. i play WoW, world of warcraft occassionaly and i know the laptop isnt a gaming machine so i know not to expect insane fps etc etc. but with everything in the video options tab running on low and only one tab in safari open the fan seems to be running all the time while the game is running.

i downloaded the istart widget and it gives me these specs while the game is running: 6200+/- RPM, Main Heat A - 59 deg Celsius, CPU A - 68-71 deg, Main Heatsink B - 57 Deg. idling/regular use (websurfing, aim, etc) fan rpms are hover 1800 and below, 47/50/47 are usually the respective tempertures as well. the fan is quite loud, personally i dont mind it but i dont want to do anything that would compromise the system. ive read some of the posts here and it doesnt seem like others are having any problems with running the game and quoting any heat problems. the laptop itself does not seem that hot to the touch, and the loud fan does stop upon exiting the game. hope that is thorough enough to get a solid answer, thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to the forums!

every game i've tried kicks the fans in constantly. we're just trying to make the macbook do something it's not super good at (rendering game graphics with no dedicated video card). it's normal, and while not the best possible state for your mac to be in, it's not unusually damaging/wearing.

you may have seen this thread, but if you haven't, check it out.
what games are working on your macbook

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
cazabam

cazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of lightcazabam is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD

The thing with macbook fans is that they come on when CPU utilisation goes up as well as when temperature goes up. If it's doing something that will make the CPU hot due to high utilisation, it will kick the fans in to stop it getting to hot in the first place. Of course, if you run a complex 3D game it will get hot but 60C isn't high for a CoreDuo.
QUOTE Thanks
???

??? is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.0Ghz

The fans are not to cool it but to prevent it from getting hotter. All duo core machines runn hot.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

All of the Intel Macs have their fans running all the time, My MacBook has them running at about 2000rpm constantly unless I do something to make them go faster (FCP, Games, etc). It's normal. :black:

QUOTE Thanks
cam_macintosh

cam_macintosh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

Do you mean really noisy fans?

Apple did update firmware to make fans run all the time because of overheating problems beforehand, but i dont think that world of warcraft would require them to go into constant overdrive?

plus, now that you are a mac user it must be time to throw away WoW. You're cool now.

(unlike your new macbook, lol)
QUOTE Thanks
chrissbook

chrissbook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_macintosh View Post
Do you mean really noisy fans?

Apple did update firmware to make fans run all the time because of overheating problems beforehand, but i dont think that world of warcraft would require them to go into constant overdrive?

plus, now that you are a mac user it must be time to throw away WoW. You're cool now.

(unlike your new macbook, lol)
yeah the 'really noisy fans'

wow is where the cool kids are at haha.

thanks to everyone for the replies
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by ??? View Post
The fans are not to cool it but to prevent it from getting hotter. All duo core machines runn hot.

if they are running hot then it is poor cooling, the fans ARE there to cool the CPU, hence how they prevent it from getting hotter..... by cooling it

core duo and core 2 duo are very cool running chips themselves.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« cooling fans | Ethernet-to-Airport sharing »