New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Screen Ripples when moved

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rpmgatech

rpmgatech is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 and a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

Whenever I move the angle of my screen or if I put my MBP down on a table (causing a slight jostle), the middle of the image on my screen ripples like the surface of water when a pebble hits it. It is a circle about the size of a quarter and it does not happen everytime I move it, but it does occur quite frequently. Is this normal?

Do any of you know what is causing this?
QUOTE Thanks
DigitalJesus

DigitalJesus is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.0Ghz(CD)/512/80/128MB VRAM/15"

My best guess without seeing it would be that theres something trapped between your lid and your panel thats putting pressure on the screen. I've seen it before and eventually it will crack your panel from behind. Although, in all honesty the one time i saw this problem it was caused by the user trying to repair a screen by himself (moron).

Thats a pretty weird problem, sorry i dont have any more suggestions.

I hope this helps
QUOTE Thanks
rpmgatech

Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 and a 15" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM

The odd thing is that it is right behind the apple image that lights up on the other side. And this is new, so I know that it cannot be something stuck in there.
QUOTE Thanks
DigitalJesus

Has the apple logo had any kind of impact on it? Perhaps something has come loose and lodged itself behind the panel. This could be the early warning sign of something much worse. I suggest that you have someone look at it.

Just to clairify, how would you describe the "ripple" is it like you tapped the LCD with your finger?
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

old lcds used to do this all the time. i remember the ones we used to use on all the old server racks we had for kvms, you could run your finger across them and ripples would trail your finger. it was kind of neat. i have to admit, i did it a lot...

newer ones though, probably shouldn't do this to any real noticable extent.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
DigitalJesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
old lcds used to do this all the time. i remember the ones we used to use on all the old server racks we had for kvms, you could run your finger across them and ripples would trail your finger. it was kind of neat. i have to admit, i did it a lot...

newer ones though, probably shouldn't do this to any real noticable extent.
Eric, thats exactly what i'm thinking, you can put pressure on the back of LCD panels and get that same effect on the viewable part of the screen. So its pretty logical that something stuck inbetween the lid and panel could do that.

I Havnt taken apart a MBP so i dont know what kind of components are inbetween the panel and lid. Unless a Mac Tech can shed some light on this...
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

yeah, you may be right...
rpmgatech, does the ripple appear to eminate from the same place in the middle every time? if so, i'd agree with the concensus.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
rpmgatech

I know what you guys are thinking, but it doesn't do that when I press with my finger. For instance, right now if I move my screen, it won't ripple. But maybe in about a few hours it will. It is kind of weird. The only difference that I have been able to discern between when it does it and when it doesn't is the temperature of the room I am in. If the room is extremely cold, it will ripple, if it is normal temperature, it will be fine.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmgatech View Post
I know what you guys are thinking, but it doesn't do that when I press with my finger. For instance, right now if I move my screen, it won't ripple. But maybe in about a few hours it will. It is kind of weird. The only difference that I have been able to discern between when it does it and when it doesn't is the temperature of the room I am in. If the room is extremely cold, it will ripple, if it is normal temperature, it will be fine.
The Apple logo is a piece of transparent plastic that allows the backlight ( which lights the LCD screen) to show through to provide the glowing effect. Conversely, if there is a source of bright light in the room, it can show through the Apple logo and you will notice the result on the screen when it is dark or black. Maybe what's happening is that as you move the lid, you're catching an ambient light source on the back of the panel and it's just showing through onto the screen. If that's the case, it might be completely normal.

Just a guess...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Preventing Powerbook from sleeping when closing display | UGH! Can barely hear movie even when speaker is over half?? »