New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - broken ibook - want to rescue data from disk

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

red_lego_man

red_lego_man is on a distinguished road

I have an ibook G3 800, which is up the spout. The screen is dead, as is the external connection to a monitor. I know it still boots and I can switch it on, let it boot up, log in and shut it down, all without the screen.

What I have done is take out the 2.5 inch HDD and put it in an external USB enclosure and try to attach it to a Fedora Core 6 x86 PC via USB, but I cannot read the disk. The led on the enlosure just goes red when it should be green (another HDD confirms this). There are also various IO errors in dmesg and in the messages file, and fdisk says "unable to open /dev/sda".

What I want to know : is there something special about Apple ibook HDDs (the disk states on it that it has Apple firmware), that would prevent me from connecting it to a PC?
QUOTE Thanks
skye

skye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really niceskye is just really nice
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.0ghz coeduo 1GB RAM 80 GB HD SuperDrive

you can just keep the HD in the ibook and plug it into another mac with a firewire cable and boot it into firewire target disc mode mode.

firewire target disc mode: Here
QUOTE Thanks
red_lego_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye23412 View Post
you can just keep the HD in the ibook and plug it into another mac with a firewire cable and boot it into firewire target disc mode mode.

firewire target disc mode: Here
Oh to have another MAC. That would be great. I only have the one, hence the PC external HDD route.
QUOTE Thanks
rogueace

rogueace is on a distinguished road

The reason is doesn't work with Fedora is because the HD for your Mac isn't formatted in the format that is used by Windows and Linux (Mac uses HFS+ and Windows and Linux use the FAT file system). Your best bet is to plug it into another Mac, maybe even bring it to the Apple Store, I'm sure they would happily retreive your lost data for, and maybe interest you in a new Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
red_lego_man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueace View Post
The reason is doesn't work with Fedora is because the HD for your Mac isn't formatted in the format that is used by Windows and Linux (Mac uses HFS+ and Windows and Linux use the FAT file system). Your best bet is to plug it into another Mac, maybe even bring it to the Apple Store, I'm sure they would happily retreive your lost data for, and maybe interest you in a new Mac.
Linux actually uses ext2/3 filesystems by default, but can support many filesystem types, including the filesystem used by Apple; HFS+. Also, Windows uses NTFS, not FAT. It used to, but not any more.

The problem I am having would appear to be hardware related. I assume there is a special firmware on the disk itself. If the problem were merely filesystem type related, then I would be able to open the disk in fdisk and wipe it clean. I cannot even do that.

Never mind, I remembered that I had set DHCP on the iBook's network card, so I wired it up to the network, switched on the DHCP server and dragged everything off the drive onto the Linux host that way.

Still would like to know what makes the disk not work in other machines though...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Typical HDD life? | Thinking of adding DVD slot load... »