New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

screen hinge

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zanoncello

When i open my iBook it makes a sort of cracking sound. Its not really cracking its just a sound that you get when something is really tight with something else and you try and move it and it makes that creaking noise. I'm wondering if i could put oil or something so that it will move smoothly again. (i thought oil maybe wouldn't be a good idea) Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone have any ideas on what i could do to make it move more smoothly?
QUOTE Thanks
Shme3000

I know this probably will not help, but that does not sound healthy. My iBook is stiff, but no sound is made when I open or close it. DO NOT USE OIL, Im sure if that gets anywhere near your electrical parts, your laptop will be buggered. Is it new because you could take it back and see what the manufactures say? but to be honest I dont think it should be dangerous due to the fact it may just be the plastic rubbing, thus give it time and it may just go away. However if this persists then take the laptop back is my only suggestion.

I hope this helps...

MAC RULE!!!! :p
QUOTE Thanks
PC HATER

no, dont put oil, the sound will wear away, all the ibooks at school use to do that now they dont, just give it some time
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Im of a different mind actually.. I had my hinge bust on me.. and it cost a good $500 to have it reparied by someone else and $200 if you do it yourself.. and it's not a simple task to do.. believe me!

If I was in your shoes I would be very careful and oil the ONE hinge.. not both of them.. that way it loosens it up a bit while leaving the other one as stiff as they should be.. although that does put pressure on the good hinge..

I guess the best bet would be to go down to your local Apple store and see what they think.
QUOTE Thanks
SlCKB0Y

I have never had this problem but maybe this would help?

http://www.radtech.us/Products/Iglide.aspx
QUOTE Thanks
WilliS

heya....

i know exactly what you're talking about, my ibook makes the same noise on occasion. yea, its a weird sound, but it comes and goes from what i know of it on my ibook. mine is 3 years old now, so its had time to "wear in" so to speak... i dont hear it much anymore, but once in a while it still happens.

i wouldnt look into oiling it or anything... not because of the electrical parts, but just because your bound to gum it up using a conventional oil... when the hinge was made, i doubt apple wanted it to be oiled, so it is probably all internal bearings and stuff.

if it only happens with the model we have (mine is an iBook 600.. the 2nd edition of the white ibooks i believe)... be careful more about your latch than your hinge. my latch on mine broke on the inside, and no longer closes completely
QUOTE Thanks
zanoncello

The site looks good and its only 10$ so I might give it a try. The sound only happens when I open my iBook not when I close it.

What are you saying about the latch?? My latch seems to be fine. I sometimes doesn't hook right away when i push it down but i just have to press it firmly and it latches fine. Most of the time it closes fine though.

thx for all your help ppls!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« !help might buy an Ibook | what is max ram for my iBook?? »