New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Macbook Pro Random Shutdowns

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

I have one of the early Macbook Pro's with the 1.83Ghz CD Processor.
The last month and a half I have been experiencing fairly regular random shutdowns. They don't happen every day, but at least every other, and sometimes multiple times in one day. It happens it seems no matter what I'm doing, although I have experienced a lot of them while running iTunes, especially while watching videos.
I'm woundering if the culprit might be my RAM. It shipped with 512mb RAM and I put up with that for a long time, but recently I upgraded to 2GB from otherworldcomputing.com. It was about a month after this upgrade that the random shutdowns began to happen.
If you guys don't have any solutions, and I assume you don't because this is really odd, who should I contact about this? OWC or Apple.
I suppose I could have OWC replace the RAM and see if that fix's it. Or I could go right to apple.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

NanoBite is an unknown at this point

Hi Bluesmudge,

I don't have a MBP so I have no direct experience with it but have researched and found some info which shows that there have been issues with the early MBP's regarding their batteries. I don't know whether or not you have had your MBP a while or whether or not it's a recent purchase for you.

Anyway, here's some info:

https://support.apple.com/macbookpro15/batteryexchange/

I also found these:

MBP Random Shutdowns

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/...1#802005989731
QUOTE Thanks
sixslinger

sixslinger will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM

take it to apple....they may replace it with a C2D....this happened to a friend with a CD macbook, and he got a C2D MB.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

Yeah, but I don't think its a very common on the pro's. Plus apple would probably just blame it on my RAM.

I know its not the battery because I already got mine replaced by apple (it was bulging).
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Why would they blame it on your RAM?
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

I've heard apple likes to do that. If you send in your mac with 3rd party RAM, they just blame the problem on the RAM and don't do any further testing.
QUOTE Thanks
traded

traded will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D 2.16

I had a core duo MBP that was replaced with a C2D MBP. It wasnt easy, but it happened.

Why dont you take out your 2 gigs, put in the 512 and use it that way for a few days. If you still have the problem....then it ait the new ram and you can feel justified in not telling Apple about the 3rd party ram. (obviously, if you ever have to send this in for repair, you would send it in with the stock 512).
-d
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulse-8 View Post
Why would they blame it on your RAM?
Because it probably is the RAM.

I had to try 3 different brands before I found memory that worked well in my MacBook Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
NanoBite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmudge View Post
I've heard apple likes to do that. If you send in your mac with 3rd party RAM, they just blame the problem on the RAM and don't do any further testing.
I've heard this ... when I upgrade my RAM (3rd Party Ram 4 me) I plan to keep the twin 512's and in the event of me needing to return my iMac to the AppleStore for repair, I'm gonna pop em back in so they won't pull that stunt.

Exactly what traded posts ^^^
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Memory Upgrade | "Sounds" coming from Macbook Pro- Normal? Is yours silent?? »