New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - tiger on powerbook g5 , can I use my desktop software?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

brettbasic

brettbasic is on a distinguished road

Hello.

I read the thread about installing tiger on my 15" powerbook g4 . My question is can I use the tiger install discs that came with my new g5 or is there software specific to the laptops?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
brettbasic

sigh.... I just realized that my topic should have read "installing tiger on my powerbook g4" not g5...

anyone?

thx.
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

I believe that the restore discs included with hardware are device-specific...meaning that the installer checks your machine's serial number electronically to see if it can be installed. I could be wrong, but I think that's what it does.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I've seen people 'think' the install disks are machine specific, but have never heard of anyone actually hitting the problem. Why don't you just try it. Backup of your system first of course.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
I've seen people 'think' the install disks are machine specific, but have never heard of anyone actually hitting the problem. Why don't you just try it. Backup of your system first of course.
1. It's illegal to use the discs on another machines
2. They don't work. There are device drivers that are system specific and it will not install

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
brettbasic

Good point Xstep , worst case it doesn't work ( well sort of worst case , ouch!).

thx for the n-put.
bb
QUOTE Thanks
taylorwilsdon

taylorwilsdon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4ghz 4GB RAM

The legality is disputable, but there isn't any "check" that will prevent it from booting.

If you try to use the Intel disks on a PowerPC machine, no, that won't work. But any Tiger disks from G4/G5 ect will work on all the machines in that line. There are no system specific device drivers.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

The legality isn't disputable... it states clearly in the EULA that the discs are to be used with the machine they are included with and that machine only. Any use otherwise is a direct violation of the EULA and its copyright law.
There are also checks (yes, I have witnessed it with my own eyes) that will prevent it from being installed on machine types other than the one it is intended for.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
The legality isn't disputable... it states clearly in the EULA ...
Legality, smeality, locality. The legality would depend on your local laws. Perhaps there are some countries where what the poster requested would be legal. I can't say that I know.

I would encourage anyone using any software, to pay for the number of licenses they are using, when payment is a demanded request of the source of the software. Please remember that a lot of time and money goes into software. It isn't free to develop and fair compensation is justified.

Quote:
There are also checks (yes, I have witnessed it with my own eyes) that will prevent it from being installed on machine types other than the one it is intended for.
My one experience with this was with a Panther CD install disc from an eMac. I do not recall any issues, but then, the install was onto a Wallstreet via the XPostFacto tool. The disks were purchased separately from an eMac.
QUOTE Thanks
Bluesmudge

Bluesmudge will become famous soon enough

I too have been able to get emac disks to install on other computers. However, when trying to install an iMac G5 OS 10.3 on a powermac G4 I got a message saying I couldn't install on the machine.
I guess it depends, but mostly I would say it wont work.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

It's interesting to know Apple has taken this precaution. I wonder when they started this.

I wonder if they are actually removing un-needed drivers, or are creating custom installers per hardware design. Has anyone actually compared the different install discs to find the differences?

It will be interesting to see if Leopard requires a license key when it is released.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstep View Post
Legality, smeality, locality. The legality would depend on your local laws. Perhaps there are some countries where what the poster requested would be legal.
Nope. :black:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger EULA
12. Controlling Law and Severability. This License will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of
California, as applied to agreements entered into and to be performed entirely within California between California residents. This
License shall not be governed by the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods
, the application of
which is expressly excluded.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

I have a friend who just bought a supposedly "retail" copy of OSX 10.4 Tiger on eBay, and it turned out to be a Hardware-Bundled copy. It would NOT install on his iBook, and he wasn't able to get around it in any way. Not to mention, the eBay seller is in a load of crap for selling a non-existant license.

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoslicer8 View Post
I have a friend who just bought a supposedly "retail" copy of OSX 10.4 Tiger on eBay, and it turned out to be a Hardware-Bundled copy. It would NOT install on his iBook, and he wasn't able to get around it in any way. Not to mention, the eBay seller is in a load of crap for selling a non-existant license.
Assuming your description is correct. Your friend needs to return that AND have his credit card reversed because the seller has committed a fraud if they advertised it as a retail copy and not delivered such product. Your friend has not received what was advertised.

A friend of mine refuses to use PayPal anymore for sales because someone who did receive a product had the charge reversed but did not return the product.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

Quote:
Nope. :black:
You often see in EULAs reference exceptions to local laws. Sometimes specifically, but usually in generic terms. So I suspect in the end it depends where the lawsuit is filed, to what parts of the EULA applies.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Battey problem/question | wont start-up! »