New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - overheating?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macbookdabest

macbookdabest has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBook CoreDuo 1.25Gb Ram WiFi'd To Airport Extreme!

in the manual it says that i shouldnt put the laptop on a pillow/bed
well the main place i use my laptop is on my bed

so i wanted to know what the best accessory i can buy to place the macbook on
QUOTE Thanks
novicew

novicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to allnovicew is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)

iLap is a pretty neat accessory.
QUOTE Thanks
macbookdabest

yea i like that

but is it a necessity, because there are no vents on the bottom of the macbook, so i dont see how it could overheat
QUOTE Thanks
???

??? is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.0Ghz

The thing is that even thought when the MB is on a hard surface, there is air going underneath it and cooling it. When its on something soft the heat goes in to the pillow or whatever and stays there.

I dont think it would overheat quickly, and it would need heavy usage. So I think you will be ok. I use my MBP on my sofa all the time and its ok
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Any notebook computer should always be used on a hard, flat surface like a desk or tray.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
nukemm

nukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the roughnukemm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
Any notebook computer should always be used on a hard, flat surface like a desk or tray.

Truth to that. I tried just about everything to get my laptop to quit overheating when using on my lap to watch DVD's & such while I was on deployment, and wound up getting a metal tray (like a breakfast in bed tray) while I was overseas, and it worked great, no overheating.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
My Setup
QUOTE Thanks
miuchi

miuchi is on a distinguished road

I got the iLap for Christmas and love it. It's great for using on my lap AND on a tabletop. It raises it up to a nice angle for typing, has good padding, etc, etc. However... I'm sure you could get something flat to put it on that would be just as good for cooling purposes (and cheaper than the iLap, if that's an issue). I've also seen those pillow-things with a hard surface on top.
QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

if you got good legs hold it between your legs or on the edges, what i do and no problems yet, but best bet is any hard flat surface (for me other times is a shelf left over from a shelving system i had)
QUOTE Thanks
Arichards

Arichards is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.

you could save the money and use a binder or clipboard instead of shelling out 50 bucks for an enhanced version of the two things I listed above
QUOTE Thanks
macbookdabest

lol thats what im using
a clipboard
QUOTE Thanks
cam_macintosh

cam_macintosh is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

depending on how you like to sit in bed...

why not just pull your knees up and rest the middle of the macbook on them?
QUOTE Thanks
Dr. Ho

Dr. Ho is on a distinguished road

All notebooks dissipate heat through the bottom, whether they have bottom facing vents or not. Therefore it's not the best idea to place them on something that can potentially smother them like a pillow or comforter.
QUOTE Thanks
macbookdabest

on the macbook the vents are not on the bottom of the notebook
they are never covered when i use the laptop on my bed/sofa, so i am not worried about it overheating anymore
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ho View Post
All notebooks dissipate heat through the bottom, whether they have bottom facing vents or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbookdabest View Post
on the macbook the vents are not on the bottom of the notebook
As was already stated, heat dissipates through the bottom... vents or no vents.:black:
Notebooks should always be used on a hard, flat surface. Otherwise you run the risk of damaging the notebook after prolonged use like that.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
Mathiau

Mathiau is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Black 2ghz / 2g / 160g72k | Ipod nano black 4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_macintosh View Post
depending on how you like to sit in bed...

why not just pull your knees up and rest the middle of the macbook on them?
thats all i do, the heat from the macbook cpu is just off centered to the left a little.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« odd fan sounds? | How do i keep my macbook from going into sleep mode when I close the lid? »