New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Please Help!! System problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

neil_mac

Hi there,

I have a 15.2" superdrive powerbook, for about the last 5 months, and I'm running panther. Nearly all programs have started unexpectedly quitting, mostly when message boxes appear, or I'm trying to save files. It was infrequent at first, but as more software has gone on, it has become all the time. I've no idea what this could be, I have archived my files, so I'm prepared for a complete zero and start again, but only if this will resolve the problem.

I hope someone can help me, (or tell me I should be in a different forum)
thanks, neil
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Try repairing your disk permissions in
Apps --> Utilities --> Disk Utility

After that if it hasnt changed much
Reboot computer
As soon as it begins to boot up hold down
Apple and S
It will boot in single user mode
Once that screen is done loading type in
/sbin/fsck -f

When that is done if there were any changes run it again to see that it got them
Once it says it was OK type in
Restart

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
GLJones

GLJones is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook

I found a widget that will repair permissions automatically. Go to www.knofabulator.com and get the mail knofabulator program. Then download the widget "Permissions Doctor". Whenever you run the installer it will follow up with a background repair of your permissions.

Jerry
QUOTE Thanks
neil_mac

Hi again,

so far I've tried the disk utility to repair disk permissions, and there were a few corrections, but it hasn't improved.Then I tried the single user mode repair a couple of times, and it told me the disk was fine. It quits out of apps when dialog boxes appear, but not every time, it happens on all sort of programs, from safari to illustrator.
thanks for your help,

neil
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ibook g4 slot disc drive | Inserting PCMCIA cards causes 'hang' type behaviour »