Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    MacBook CoreDuo
    Screen flickering problem
    I noticed a month or so after I got my macbook that the screen flickered a bit when plugged in and when running on battery. I didnt think much of it because it didnt do it very often (a few flickers, not much change in screen brightness) but now it seems to be getting worse. *** flickers for longer and the flickers darker too. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The computer its fairly new (got it in September) and has not had anything happen to it like being dropped. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

ack, that doesn't sound good. mine is rock solid.

do you have your firmwre updated? not likely, but worth a shot.

if that doesn't work, take it in.

Specs:
    MacBook CoreDuo
    firmware has been updated. also, I've had problems with the screen not coming on after coming out of sleep mode. I can see the screen if I look at it close, but it doesnt actually light up. I guess I'll have to bring it in

I agree. Take it in. I use mine pretty hard and I haven't experienced anything like you describe.

Thank goodness for warranty. A friend of mine had a chance to deal with the Mac geniuses and they seemed willing to help, for the most part.

let us know how it turns out.

good luck!

Specs:
    MacBook CoreDuo
    should I take it back to the store I bought it from or deal directly with mac? The store I got it from is not an Apple Store but is an authorized apple retailer.

If I have to deal directly with apple, how do I contact them? I looked on the support website but everything seemed to be geared towards DIY fixes

there should be a support phone # somewhere on the site?

here you go: check this page

Specs:
    MacBook CoreDuo
    thanks

looks like the store I got it from is an authorized service center, so I'll have to take it to them tuesday I guess.....yay?

Specs:
    MacBook CoreDuo
    just an update, I brought the macbook into the shop to be fixed. The guy said it sounds most likely like a hardware problem and should be fixed by the end of the week.

Specs:
    MacBook CoreDuo
    well I got the computer back from repairs...we'll see how well its fixed.

Silly me, when they guy asked if I wanted the $85 data backup I asked if he though I needed it and he said "Well it sounds like its definitely a hardware problem, so you'd only loose the information on the HDD if there was some kind of accident" so of course I opted to keep $85 in my pocket.

Guess how the apple tech decided to fix the problem? Replacing the hard drive, that'll do it! Then to top it off, they decided to use as many parts from the old HDD to put together the new one, so none of the info was salvageable

Quote Originally Posted by MBasile View Post
    Then to top it off, they decided to use as many parts from the old HDD to put together the new one, so none of the info was salvageable

I'm new here, but I'm an IT major and have built computers before, so not a rookie. If they told you that I would ask questions. The only part I can see them reusing from the old hdd would be the mounting hardware and a bezel(if there is one. I don't own a mac yet. so not 100% on the bezel) But if the computer could power on and still functions, which you said it could. Then all the data on the old hdd was able to be salvaged. They just did not salvage it for you.(you didn't pay the 85$ to get them to.) If you did you could have saved your data.

What parts did they say they re-used on the hdd?

Specs:
    MacBook CoreDuo
    they didn't say which parts the reused. The guy at the front desk asked if I wanted him to check with the tech to see if they could get the data from it and I said yes so he went in the back for about 5 minutes and then came out and said it was gone

I would have asked more questions about that. The hdd was in working order when you brought it in, and then they "re-used" parts from you old hdd, that just sounds fishy to me.

Did you need what was on the hdd?

And did the hdd replace fix your problem?

Specs:
    MacBook CoreDuo
    I'm not yet sure if replacing the HDD fixed the problem. I havent seen the flickering since I picked it up, but just earlier tonight I opened the lid of the computer and the screen was white/grey streaky so I closed the lid so it'd go back into sleep mode, and then opened it again and all was fine.

I didnt really "need" anything on the HDD except some things for work that I can re-do, and thats ok because I get paid by the hour everything else like pictures/music, most of which is on the PC anyways, is just annoying to have to put back on here

Specs:
    MacBook CoreDuo
    three weeks later (wow, seems longer than that) ad I think the flickering is starting again....but we'll see

Thread Information