New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - I need reassurance about MacBook screen dimensions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

unlokia

unlokia can only hope to improve

Hey guys!.

I am in the process of buying an Apple MacBook C2D (White, naturally! )
and I wish to ask this question of people:

1/ Can anyone tell me if they use a MacBook (The latest ones - NOT MacBook Pro!)

2/ The new MacBook has a screen size of 13.3 inches (diagonal) with a resolution of 1280x800 pixels - very good resolution for that size, if you ask me.

Please let me know if you notice any usability/viewing/enjoyment issues, between a standard 15.4" WXGA widescreen tft, and the MacBooks 13.3" WXGA tft.

I have drawn a size comparison on paper (too large to scan, unfortunately, otherwise I would have attached it as JPEG) and the 13.3" tft, naturally is smaller as expected, but I just need some reassurance.

Had Apple made the screen 10 inches, I would probably worry, but 13.3 seems a very good balance to me - I would just like some feedback and comments from those who use these screens day to day.

Many thanks, as per usual, and __//--<[[ A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS! ]>--\\__
QUOTE Thanks
cvx5832

cvx5832 is on a distinguished road

You're right. 13.3" is a good size - the resolution makes it work.

I've been using my MacBook for more hours of the day for a while now, and I don't squint or feel cramped at all.

I was actually eying the 15" MBP, but previous experiences with bigger laptops took me to the 13.3". In my opinion, too big of a laptop can defeat it's essence.

ONE "regret" - I did think the lit keyboard on the MBP is very cool.
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

Well, I've had mine for a little over a month now. When I went to the apple store the screen did seem small. Now that I use it everyday it is a good size and I have no trouble with it at all.

Hope that helps

QUOTE Thanks
unlokia

Hey thanks for the reassurance guys! .

Incidentally, does anybody know how I would find out the tft response times, in milliseconds, for the MacBook screens?. Not a major issue but I'd like to know, all the same. Cannot find them ANYWHERE!

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
NikBhat

NikBhat is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram

I have the first generation macbook but since we are discussing the screen size I will chime in. Initially, I too, (i think, like most people), was worrisome that the 13 inch screen would be too small to work with in any situation of extended use. I was so concerned that i went and bought a 17 inch LCD monitor to use in conjunction with my macbook (i had a SICK dual monitor set up for a while). But after some time with my macbook i realized that 13.3 is really the sweet spot with laptops. I never find it a hastle or uncomfortable to use my macbook for many hours. On the contrary, I now feel like i could even go with a smaller one Either way, you will find after the first few hours with your macbook that the size is just right.

:headphone
QUOTE Thanks
spiccy

spiccy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro

13.3's perfect for a laptop, but not if you're going to be using it as a desktop hours on end.
QUOTE Thanks
unlokia

I am feeling extremely comfortable about the screen now - all I need to do now is raise the extra 440 ... was hoping to get it before Christmas... but hey, ce la vie! .

I concur - am watching people on 'youtube' playing with their MacBooks, and everyone seems entirely happy (of course there are a FEW moaners, but negligable!).

I cannot wait.... like a kid waiting for Christmas morning.... just coincidental that Christmas is quite literally a matter of days away.

Anything else I can look forward to?. How do the graphics run, what with it being intel integrated?. I am going to be using the standard 1GB ddr2 for a while, so *all* feedback much needed and very much appreciated indeed!.

Thankyou people!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

check this out
QUOTE Thanks
unlokia

What a fabulous forum, and you guys are so helpful and friendly!!

Thanks guys - keep posting your opinions, as I may compile them and print them off when I write my Mac buyers manual . Don't stop posting dudes, I wanna know EVERYTHING you love/hate about MacBook (NOT Pro!).

Many, many thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

ask and ye shall receive:

a few apps to check out:

unison - great newsreader/binary downloader if you need that sort of thing.

onyx - excellent maintenance tool, great for cache maintenance and tweaking preferences

delocalizer - will free up a couple gigs of space by removing extra language support if you don't need it (i recovered about 2.8Gb).

also, these threads are fun for anecdotal reference:

Switchers, what do you love most about your new Mac?

switchers - top 5 things you don't miss!

Feelings of Apple Disillusionment

A switcher's guide to OS X Software
QUOTE Thanks
eric

and try this too:

what games are working on your macbook
QUOTE Thanks
unlokia

Incidentally, does anybody know how I would find out the tft response times, in milliseconds, for the MacBook screens?. Not a major issue but I'd like to know, all the same. Cannot find them ANYWHERE!
QUOTE Thanks
hjimzaf

hjimzaf is an unknown at this point

i think the screen is perfect. I have mine here in Iraq with me and I use it to watch movies in my spare time. So far so good.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« CD Burning problem | Can't access any files, makes a strange noise »