New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Macbook Pro (1st gen) warranty question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kishan82

kishan82 is on a distinguished road

I recently made the switch to mac and its great! I first got a mac mini dual core, and I just picked up a used Macbook Pro 2ghz. Last night I registered it online under my apple login.

So here's my question: I want to get the extended Applecare coverage. This laptop was only purchased in June, and sold to me last week used. If I wait until the end of the first year of purchase (June 07) and buy the Applecare coverage, will I get coverage starting from that date? Or if I buy it this Christmas, will the extended coverage begin from this month?

I've heard mixed things saying people wait until the end of the first year to get more time out of the extended coverage, but I also read online that it doesn't make a difference because its from the date of purchase. But since I bought it used, I'm not sure what would be considered the date of purchase?

Not sure if this is in the right thread, but I couldn't find one about Apple warranties. Anyways, any advice would be appreciated. But after reading about all the small quirks and problems some people have with their Macbooks, I'm definitely going to go for the warranty, the question I have is when?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

The extended warranty extends it 2 years from the date of purchase. Only benefit to waiting is that you are just saving money for a little longer before aactually having to buy it.

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
kishan82

Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I figured, I just thought I'd double check incase I could stretch it out.

On average do most people on this forum go for Applecare?
QUOTE Thanks
KoDorSean

KoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant futureKoDorSean has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3

get applecare.. no question.. I have already paid mine off.. and my wife's. its worth every penny.. blown speaker on my PB. fan and keyboard took a dump on my wife's. parts and labor would have been over $700.. ironic part is all of these issues came up in the 13th month of use.

I was on the M-F honor roll for month : May 2007
QUOTE Thanks
waymon

waymon is on a distinguished road

Ok, I just got myself a nice Macbook Pro over thanksgiving? I didn't get the applecare, should I? Id rather not waste the money since I have 1 year of it, I guess if I notice some discomfort in it in this one year, I might pick it up. Is the applecare the same as the free 1 year?
QUOTE Thanks
arvinsd

arvinsd is on a distinguished road

I have a question: AppleCare is 'global', but is the normal warranty cover also global?
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Definitely get applecare as it has also paid for itself for me. I had 5 repairs in a month costing over $3,500 and all I paid for was the Applecare. These repairs also happened in the 12th month of owning the powerbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waymon View Post
Ok, I just got myself a nice Macbook Pro over thanksgiving? I didn't get the applecare, should I? Id rather not waste the money since I have 1 year of it, I guess if I notice some discomfort in it in this one year, I might pick it up. Is the applecare the same as the free 1 year?
Yes its the exact same as the free 1 year support you get when you purchase a computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvinsd View Post
I have a question: AppleCare is 'global', but is the normal warranty cover also global?
Its the same service as the 1 year warranty that came with the machine when you bought it.
QUOTE Thanks
traded

traded will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D 2.16

Just another strong vote for AppleCare.
I had about $1100 of parts replaced (who knows how much in labor costs) on my MacBook Pro 1.1 and just sent it off for a replacement (new C2D model...YAY) with moderate frustration with the service people. Though all of this would have been covered with the base 1 year warranty, I need to depend on my laptop for at least 3 years.
-d
QUOTE Thanks
kishan82

Definitely going to go for the Applecare in the new year when I have some money saved up. It seems like the Macbook Pro is quite fragile or prone to have some malfunction based on all the posts I've been reading! Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I have to say its a bit disconcerting
QUOTE Thanks
traded

traded will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro C2D 2.16

One thing to keep in mind is that the Core 2 Duos have less issues. I bet some people will disagree with this comment but I think the Core Duos were the trouble makers.
-d
QUOTE Thanks
kishan82

Yeah it seems that way. Applecare/warranty also covers an replacement upgrade if the condition of the laptop warrants it?
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishan82 View Post
Definitely going to go for the Applecare in the new year when I have some money saved up. It seems like the Macbook Pro is quite fragile or prone to have some malfunction based on all the posts I've been reading! Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I have to say its a bit disconcerting
Just remember that these are forums and most of the posts are because there are problems with something. I think most problems arent as big as they seem on here so I think you will be fine with your computer. If something ever does happen, just know that you have the warranty to cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishan82 View Post
Yeah it seems that way. Applecare/warranty also covers an replacement upgrade if the condition of the laptop warrants it?
Yes, this is what happened to me, after 5 repairs they decided it was cost effective to replace my machine.
QUOTE Thanks
kishan82

Thanks for the info all!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac marware and ava softpads | Mixed DVD »